Is this a correct way to describe number sets?

Please don't!
And they shouldn't. ##0## is a human achievement and nothing natural. :cool:
I also agree to this viewpoint

But sure, ##0## is unnatural. I have 2 apples and give 2 apples to my brother. What I have left is nothing natural??

Also, axiomatic set theory is pretty clear on the issue that ##0## should be a natural number. You'd make a mess out of the theory otherwise.

You think Graham's number is natural?
Hmm, I'd rather say funny. In any case it's a nice example how to code something huge in a small number of digits.

Did we invent the numbers? or discover them?

Did we invent the numbers? or discover them?
Meh, once you rigorously define those terms, we might find an answer. So far, nobody has really given a satisfactory definition.

Likes Logical Dog
But sure, ##0## is unnatural. I have 2 apples and give 2 apples to my brother. What I have left is nothing natural??

Also, axiomatic set theory is pretty clear on the issue that ##0## should be a natural number. You'd make a mess out of the theory otherwise.
But this argument is essentially practicability as it is to exclude units to be prime. I have no problem when people work with ##\mathbb{N}_0## though.

Meh, once you rigorously define those terms, we might find an answer. So far, nobody has really given a satisfactory definition.
ok boss..this is all way over my head. xD

But this argument is essentially practicability as it is to exclude units to be prime. I have no problem when people work with ##\mathbb{N}_0## though.
Well, clearly you don't think math should be elegant. I think elegance trumps everything else. And if you believe in elegance, ##0## should be a natural.

number is undefined, so is point, proposition, true, false, set, element...o0):frown:

Well, clearly you don't think math should be elegant. I think elegance trumps everything else. And if you believe in elegance, ##0## should be a natural.
Oh no. I won't turn into this ... Far too obvious!

Compromise:

natural.png

Include 0 only half. Is that natural enough?

Likes Math_QED and S.G. Janssens
Compromise:

View attachment 106007

Include 0 only half. Is that natural enough?
We have to ask the Indians. As far as I know they have the copyright on the ##0##. I'm sure we've had numbers when we lived in Africa, but it took a civilization to use the ##0##. Probably some bookies ....

We have to ask the Indians. As far as I know they have the copyright on the ##0##. I'm sure we've had numbers when we lived in Africa, but it took a civilization to use the ##0##. Probably some bookies ....
Some tribes count as ##1,2,3,\text{many}##. So I deny that the number ##10## is very natural.

jbriggs444
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
2019 Award
Some tribes count as ##1,2,3,\text{many}##. So I deny that the number ##10## is very natural.
It's just another name for 2. :wink:

Likes S.G. Janssens