1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is this a graph of a delta function?

1. Jan 25, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    My question asks me to sketch the following:
    [tex]g(x) = \delta (y+a) + \delta (y) + \delta (y-a)[/tex]

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    [​IMG]

I think this is it, but am I correct? I don't recall actually seeing a delta function other than a Kronicker(sp?) delta function, and I'm pretty sure that this isn't one of that type. Research on the web therefore leads me to this (because after trawling my notes I can't actually find anything about it in the entire course!).

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 25, 2007 #2
    another delta function is such a function that integral of d(x)f(x)dx is f(0), and defined like this it cant really be plotted.

4. Jan 26, 2007 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Well, except that those aren't infinitely tall! Actually, I don't think that is a very good question because the "delta function" isn't a true "function" and doesn't have a graph. A rough "physicist's" idea of the graph of a delta function [itex]\delta(x)[/itex] would be an infinitely high vertical line at x= 0. Since this is in "precalculus", your three (infinitely high) vertical lines at -a, 0, and a are what I would guess are intended here.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?