Is this black scratchy Australian material a metal or non-metal?

  • Thread starter Thread starter millys
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Homework
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
millys
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
I am in year 8 and have a piece of home I do not understand the question is :

new material has been discovered i the outback of Australia. The material is solid and a dull black colour. Scratching with a diamond cutting blade leaves silver -coloured scratches. When hammeered the material does not crack but maybe dented if hit particularly hard. Attaching crocadile clips to the material shows that an electric current can flow through it. When picked up in the labatory the material feels cold to the touch.

Is this new material a metal or a non metal.

I think that it is a metal but I'm not sure. I have to list as many reasons why I think it is a metal or a non metal.

Thank you.

Milly
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Your right in thinking that it is a metal because the conduction part gives it away. the only non metals that conduct electricity are carbon (graphite) and semiconductors. All of these are brittle and do not have the same properties you described. If you wanted to be more accurate you could look up the properties of the other materials (eg. graphite is brittle) to show the reasons you concluded its a metal.
 
Thank you very much

I didn't realize that there was a homework section until after I had posted the question. So I will know another time

Thank you once again for your help and advice.

Milly x