1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Metal and non-metal oxides and water reaction?

1. Jan 21, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I understand how metallic oxide dissolve in water to produce OH- ion due to high electronegativity of oxygen. But I am having trouble understanding how non-metallic oxide dissolve in water to form acid?
    For Homework I have to explain the reaction of Sulfur trioxide in water and how that produces H+ and sulfate ions.But I have no idea how to go on about this

2. Relevant equations3. The attempt at a solution

SO3 + H2O=> H2SO4
    and H2SO4=> H+ +HSO4-
    HSO4-=>H+ +SO4-

I have no idea if these are correct or not? Also what makes the H2SO4 in the first reaction disassociate to ions?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 21, 2013 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

First and second equations are OK, the last one is not (charge is not balanced).

4. Jan 21, 2013 #3
    So h+ so4-==> h+ + so4-2?

5. Jan 21, 2013 #4
    I was also wondering when sulfur trioxide dissolves in water why does only one of the oxygen atoms in sulfur trioxide attaches to a hydrogen atom? why not the other 2

6. Jan 21, 2013 #5

Borek

Can't say it is much better. Please pay attention to how you format these things - some letters have to be capitalized, some characters should be made subscripts/supperscripts and so on.

If you don't know how - [noparse]H3O+[/noparse] is displayed as H3O+.

H2SO4 is most stable for energetic reasons. Both HSO4- and H3SO4+ exist, although the latter is observed only in pure sulfuric acid, never in water solutions.

7. Jan 21, 2013 #6
    Okay thanks. Also do all non-metallic oxides have to be polar molecules in order to form an acid within water?

8. Jan 21, 2013 #7

Borek

I wouldn't call CO2 polar.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook