Metal and non-metal oxides and water reaction?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 7K views
ASidd
Messages
72
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


I understand how metallic oxide dissolve in water to produce OH- ion due to high electronegativity of oxygen. But I am having trouble understanding how non-metallic oxide dissolve in water to form acid?
For Homework I have to explain the reaction of Sulfur trioxide in water and how that produces H+ and sulfate ions.But I have no idea how to go on about this

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution



SO3 + H2O=> H2SO4
and H2SO4=> H+ +HSO4-
HSO4-=>H+ +SO4-

I have no idea if these are correct or not? Also what makes the H2SO4 in the first reaction disassociate to ions?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
First and second equations are OK, the last one is not (charge is not balanced).
 
I was also wondering when sulfur trioxide dissolves in water why does only one of the oxygen atoms in sulfur trioxide attaches to a hydrogen atom? why not the other 2
 
ASidd said:
So h+ so4-==> h+ + so4-2?

Can't say it is much better. Please pay attention to how you format these things - some letters have to be capitalized, some characters should be made subscripts/supperscripts and so on.

If you don't know how - [noparse]H3O+[/noparse] is displayed as H3O+.

H2SO4 is most stable for energetic reasons. Both HSO4- and H3SO4+ exist, although the latter is observed only in pure sulfuric acid, never in water solutions.
 
Okay thanks. Also do all non-metallic oxides have to be polar molecules in order to form an acid within water?