Is this considered a closed expression for pi?

In summary, the conversation discusses the equation ln(-1)/i=pi and its use of imaginary numbers. It is noted that this equation is an identity and the use of 'i' is not significant as it is just a constant. It is also mentioned that this equation can be extended to an infinite number of values. The concept of a closed expression is brought up, but it is argued that reducing an irrational number to an expression of complex logarithms does not truly simplify the equation.
polaris12
ln(-1)/i=pi

this equation does not use limits or integrals, as you can see, but it does involve imaginary numbers. Does this make it an open expression, or does the fact that it uses i not matter?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
This is almost the definition of logarithm for complex numbers. You define something to be pi, then call it a closed form expression? Is pi itself a closed-form expression of pi?

By the way, ln(-1)/i=pi is completely equivalent to the statement that "the angle between two parts of a straight line is pi", which is again almost the original definition of pi.

It is an identity. The use of 'i' really not matter. It's just a constant. And it follows right from the Euler's Formula: e^ti = cos t + i sin t which follows from Taylor expansion for e, sin and cos. With t=pi you have e^(pi i) = -1, so ln(-1)/i=pi

I think I see. thank you.

Doesn't the complex logarithm has an infinite number of branches?

So [tex]e^{i\pi}=-1[/tex] can be extended to [tex]e^{i(\pi+2k\pi)}=-1[/tex] for k any integer.

This means [tex]\frac{ln(-1)}{i}=\pi+2k\pi[/tex]. I'm not sure if we can strictly say that pi is equal to that expression, when an infinite number of values are equal to it as well.

But.. We can say that -1 = e^i(pi+2kpi) , can't we..? So, i think that "problem" doesn't invalidate the identity. It's just that we are talking about complex numbers and extending functions can show us some "strange" things if we look at it like we look to the reals. Remember the famous sum: 1+2+3+... = -1/12. It is an identity, but if we look at that as a real sum it makes no sense.

(Sorry if i can't make myself clear enough sometimes. My english is really not good. ;p)

The word "closed expression" doesn't have a precise definition.

Usually, a closed form helps simplify a difficult expression. I would argue that reducing an irrational number to an expression of complex logarithms isn't simplifying anything.

1. What is a closed expression for pi?

A closed expression for pi is a mathematical formula that represents the value of pi (3.14159...) without the use of infinite or non-terminating decimals or fractions.

2. How do you know if an expression is considered closed for pi?

An expression is considered closed for pi if it can be simplified to a finite number or a fraction with a denominator of a power of ten.

3. Can an expression with variables be considered closed for pi?

Yes, an expression with variables can be considered closed for pi as long as the variables are finite and can be evaluated to a specific value.

4. Is there a standard or universally accepted closed expression for pi?

No, there is no standard or universally accepted closed expression for pi as there are many different ways to represent the value of pi without using infinite or non-terminating decimals.

5. Why is it important to find closed expressions for pi?

Finding closed expressions for pi is important because it allows for easier and more accurate calculations and also enables us to better understand and visualize the value of pi in different contexts and applications in mathematics and science.