1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is this EPQ question acceptable (Astrophysics)

1. Sep 1, 2016 #1
    Hello, next year I am undertaking an extended project qualification in school. I am required to write a 5000 word dissertation on the subject of my choice. I enjoy astrophysics and am wondering whether this question actually makes sense.

To what extent Is the use of Newtonian Celestial mechanics no longer adequate, when modelling Binary systems in space?

I am worried this may be too complicated subject for a yr13 ( 1 year before university) student, if so do you have any good ideas for questions.
    Many thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 1, 2016 #2

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

I'm not an astrophysicist, but the question appears to be valid. Do you feel you can write a 5,000 word dissertation on this topic?

4. Sep 5, 2016 #3

Larry Gopnik

Gold Member

I did the EPQ back at school also. I did it on the History of Quntum Field Theory. I would suggest from my experience to not put much mathematics in it - the external examiners who mark the EPQ are most likely English teachers or something similar. I got a few marks deduced on too much reliance on mathematics when it's a word thesis (word thesis? I'm not sure of the proper words but hopefully you get my point).

As long as you feel that you can do the appropriate research and write the 5,000 words WELL and give a good presentation at the end then go ahead!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted