1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is this mathematics course choice OK?

1. Apr 25, 2015 #1
    I'm starting college soon.

Summer
    Calculus I and Analytic Geometry
    Pre-calculus and Analytic Geometry

Fall
    Calculus II and Analytic Geometry
    Calculus I for Life Sciences
    Linear Algebra
    United States History I
    United States History II

Spring
    Calculus III and Analytic Geometry
    Calculus II for Life Sciences
    Discrete Mathematics
    Differential Equations
    Symbolic Logic

Summer
    Introduction to Computer Programming
    General Physics I

Fall
    Analysis I
    Complex Analysis I
    Honors Linear Algebra
    Abstract Algebra
    Numerical Analysis

Spring
    Analysis II
    Classical Geometries
    Introduction to Topology
    Introduction to Theory of Sets
    Ordinary Differential Equations

Summer
    Advanced Computer Programming
    General Physics II

Fall
    Combinatronics
    Cryptography
    Introduction to Topology II
    Honors Complex Analysis
    Groups, Rings, and Fields

Spring
    Ring Theory
    Differentiable Manifolds
    Algebraic Topology
    Theory of Sets
    Riemannian Geometry

Summer
    Data Structures
    General Physics III

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 25, 2015 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Why would you take Calculus I and II multiple times??
    And taking calculus over the summer really isn't a very good idea.

4. Apr 25, 2015 #3
    Also, calculus and pre-calculus in the same semester?

5. Apr 25, 2015 #4

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Also, you take Linear Algebra and Honors linear algebra (and the same with complex analysis). Just take the honors version immediately.

You'll likely need analysis for complex analysis

You will need differentiable manifolds for Riemannian geometry.

6. Apr 25, 2015 #5
    This looks kind of like a random list of math courses.

7. Apr 25, 2015 #6
    What university are you going to? They generally have a typical road map laid out on what you need to take. The courses you listed right now don't make a lot of sense.

8. Apr 26, 2015 #7

QuantumCurt

Education Advisor

You're taking pre-calculus and calculus I at the same time? This isn't really how things work.

You're also suggesting that you would also take calculus for the life sciences I and II, in addition to calculus I and II. This is pointless. These classes are going to cover the exact same material, but the life science variant is going to focus more on applications and less on theory or rigor. You're likely thinking that the wider exposure will be a good thing...but trust me, there is no point at all for you to take calculus for the life sciences. It's an abridged calculus for people that don't necessarily like math or really need that much of it for their career.

You have several instances of courses within the same semester as their typical prerequisite courses, which really isn't going to work out. You'll likely need linear algebra prior to abstract algebra, and real analysis prior to complex analysis. I see general physics I in the summer, and general physics II the following summer. I would strongly advise against this. Physics are the types of classes that you want to spend some time with. You don't want to cram them in during the summer, and you really want to take them back to back. Having a year between the two would make the second semester a bit harder.

This really does read like just a list of math classes. You have US History I and II mixed in there, and during the same semester. You may not be able to take them concurrently, although a prerequisite in a history class is often more of a formality. What about the rest of your general education courses? Are you bringing in a ton of AP credit and eliminating most of your GenEd courses?

9. May 19, 2015 #8
    I've taken out the Calculus for Life Sciences realized I needed to take a foreign language. I've taken some writing courses and also Elementary Statistics, covering my general education requirements. Re Physics in the summer I learn quickly so I'm not worried. The units per summer session of those quantitative courses are within limit so reasonable study time is expected, and likely - should be, after all.

10. May 19, 2015 #9
    Also, replaced one of those calc. life science courses with Physics I, and also moved up the computer programming course.

11. May 19, 2015 #10

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

That's the high school experience talking. Once you go to an actual college, things are very different. There are many people who breezed through high school and who struggled very much in their first college year. Don't be one of those, so don't underestimate college.

First of all, it is worth knowing physics well. And taking a quick summer course and learning quickly means you might be able to do well on the exams. But it won't necessarily mean you have a solid knowledge of physics. You need time for physics, and if you rush it over the summer, chances are big you won't have the indepth knowledge you need.

12. May 19, 2015 #11

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

I strongly suggest that you take General Physics I-III during consecutive semesters. Stretching them out one course per summer means that you're going to forget a lot of stuff during the years in between. Physics is hard enough as a summer course to begin with. Summer terms are shorter with more class hours per week, right? I used to teach general physics in summer school and always thought of it (to myself) as "firehose physics."

13. May 19, 2015 #12

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I'm not sure what "Combinatronics" is. Is that where you grab a box of random electronic parts and try to make a working gizmo? :wink:

Out of this grab bag of courses, it's not clear what your goal is in going to college. What sort of degree do you hope to obtain? What is your major field of study?

14. May 19, 2015 #13
    B.A. in Mathematics, then Ph.D in mathematics.

15. May 19, 2015 #14
    How easy would admission to Princeton or UC Berkeley be from doing this course alone, and the GRE with recommendations, from UC Berkeley or UCLA?

16. May 19, 2015 #15
    For doctoral program in mathematics, specifically analysis.

17. May 19, 2015 #16

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Admission to Princeton or Berkeley is never easy.

18. May 20, 2015 #17

esuna

Gold Member

This is a rough outline of a more feasible version of your schedule... It doesn't hit everything you wanted, but it would be a solid degree without you jumping off the roof of your dorm complex.

Summer
    Pre-calculus and Analytic Geometry

Fall
    Calculus I and Analytic Geometry
    United States History I
    Introduction to Computer Programming
    Symbolic Logic

Spring
    Calculus II and Analytic Geometry
    General Physics I
    United States History II
    Advanced Computer Programming

Summer
    (find something)

Fall
    Calculus III and Analytic Geometry
    Honors Linear Algebra
    General Physics II
    Discrete Mathematics

Spring
    General Physics III
    Combinatorics
    Differential Equations
    Analysis I

Summer
    (find something)

Fall
    Abstract Algebra
    Analysis II
    Differentiable Manifolds

Spring
    Introduction to Topology I
    Abstract Algebra II
    Riemannian Geometry

Summer
    (something)

19. May 20, 2015 #18
    Can not do that. In fact, I'm interested in slightly exceeding university credit limits upon transfer.

20. May 22, 2015 #19
    Can't do Calculus after the summer if I want to transfer on time.

21. May 22, 2015 #20
    (which I do)
    - Blue

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook