Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is this properties of metal chart correct?

1. Feb 3, 2013 #1
    Hey everyone,

In the process of wrapping my mind around the properties of metals for a realistic rpg combat system I'm working on, I made the following chart. Let me know what you think, if it's right (arrows pointing the right direction, covering the region, labeled correctly, etc), and if there's anything glaring missing.

http://michaeldeforge.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/stress-strain-propertiesofmetal.png [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 25, 2013 #2
    If I'm reading this correctly then it's generally correct, of course there are exceptions and more interplay between some of these properties. For example more ductile materials usually have a lower stiffness as well (though not always.)

4. Mar 25, 2013 #3
    Good to know. Yeah, it's dumb downed considerably, but that's kind of the point. Taking this into account for a game is already more than 99% of games to already, so I had to generalize at some point.

5. Mar 25, 2013 #4
    Yeah of course. Just covering my a## in case someone comes along and starts pointing out all the instances that deviate from the norm.

Let us know when the game is developed!

6. Mar 29, 2013 #5
    I'm not sure exactly what this diagram is supposed to convey.

On a generalised stress-strain curve, the slope in the elastic region is the elastic modulus, a measure of stiffness.

The area under the curve would be an indication of toughness, bearing in mind that stress strain curves are normally measured at strain rates considerably lower than toughness tests.

In its purest sense, brittleness is fracture that occurs in the elastic zone. That said, materials that are considered brittle often exhibit limited plastic characteristics. As you are probably aware, there is such a thing as a ductile to brittle transition temperature where fracture is part brittle, part ductile.

The inverse relationship between hardness and stiffness is not hard and fast. Hardness can be dramatically increased by the presence of a second phase with little effect on elastic modulus.

A more useful measure of ductility on this diagram would be the amount of plastic strain at fracture ie on the x-axis.

Unless there is a specific reason for including malleability in addition to ductility, I would leave it out but, as I said at the beginning, I am not sure what this diagram is supposed to convey.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook