Is this the average velocity of the car?

Also Be Aware That This Equation Will Solve For Radial Acceleration So You Have To Make Sure Your Units Are Consistent.
Icefire10304
Can anyone please help me out with these two questions?1. Starting from rest, a car travels 1350m in one minute. It accelerated at 1m/s2 until it reached its cruising speed. Then it drove the remaining distance at constant velocity. What was its cruising speed?

All I did was I divided 60s into 1350m and my result was 22.5. Is this the average velocity?

2. A satellite is in circular orbit 600km above the Earth's surface. The acceleration of gravity is 8.21m/s2 at this altitude. The radius of the Earth 6400km. Determine the speed of the satellite and the time to complete the orbit around the Earth.
I have no idea how to go about this problem. Is this centripetal acceleration?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Give these a shot yourself... show us where you're getting stuck. We'll help you along.

Do I use this equation to solve the 1st problem? https://www.physicsforums.com/latex_images/90/905663-5.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Icefire10304 said:
Do I use this equation to solve the 1st problem? https://www.physicsforums.com/latex_images/90/905663-5.png

divide the problem into two parts... while it is accelerating and while it is cruising... so let t be the time when the car reaches cruising speed...

what is the distance traveled in the t seconds... what is the distance traveled from t seconds to 60s...

the 22.5 IS the average velocity .
If it's not obvious from the wording,
you have to treat this first problem as 2 separate motions
... get the distance and time as stated.
(no, that equation isn't a good choice, because it avoids time)

https://www.physicsforums.com/latex_images/90/905663-5.png
V2=0+2(1)(1350)
V=51.96m/s.

Am i on the right path?

Icefire10304 said:
https://www.physicsforums.com/latex_images/90/905663-5.png
V2=0+2(1)(1350)
V=51.96m/s.

Am i on the right path?

No. because it isn't accelerating over the entire 1350m... it only accelerates until it hits the cruising speed. Then it stays at that velocity.

you have to split the problem into 2 parts... suppose it accelerates for t seconds... what is the distance traveled in that t seconds?

2. A satellite is in circular orbit 600km above the Earth's surface. The acceleration of gravity is 8.21m/s2 at this altitude. The radius of the Earth 6400km. Determine the speed of the satellite and the time to complete the orbit around the Earth.
I have no idea how to go about this problem. Is this centripetal acceleration?

V = [tex]\sqrt{2\mu/r - \mu/a}[/tex]

You have to be careful when calculating r. You don't need the acceleration to solve the problem. a is the semi-major axis of the ellipse. Except you have circular orbit. This simplifies the above equation. [tex]\mu[/tex] is the gravitational parameter of the body being orbited. You can use Kepler's Third Law to solve for the orbital period. Hope this helps.

a=22.5/60
a=0.375m/s2

vf2=vo2+2ad
vf=31.82

If we let t be the time it takes to reach cruising speed, then the distance traveled during this time is (1/2)at^2 = (1/2)(1m/s^2)t^2 = t^2/2

So d1 = t^2/2

The total time is 60seconds. If t is the time taken for accelerating... then 60-t is the time it was cruising.

d2 = (60 - t)vcruising

What is vcruising in terms of t?

What is d1 + d2?

I suggest you get the IDEAS down first ...
then check the scenario ... approximately.
(that usually helps guide the detailed steps)

It ALWAYS helps to sketch these things
. . . maybe even a graph (!)
the average speed was about 23 m/s;
so, about what was cruising speed?
About how long would it take to get that fast?
How much time would be left to actually cruise?
What distance would've been cruised? accelerated? total?

DAMN! I feel so retarded

Can anyone give me clues to the 2nd question?

Yes For The Second Question You Want To Use One Of Your Centripetal Acceleration Equations To Solve For The Speed You Have All The Information There It Is Just A Matter Of Plugging In Numbers.

1. What is the definition of average velocity?

The average velocity of an object is the total displacement divided by the total time taken. In simpler terms, it is the rate at which an object changes its position over a specific amount of time.

2. How is average velocity different from average speed?

Average velocity takes into account the direction of motion, while average speed only considers the magnitude of the displacement. This means that average velocity is a vector quantity, while average speed is a scalar quantity.

3. How do you calculate the average velocity of a car?

To calculate the average velocity of a car, you need to measure the total displacement and the total time taken. Then, divide the displacement by the time taken to get the average velocity. This can be represented by the formula v = d/t, where v is the average velocity, d is the displacement, and t is the time taken.

4. Is average velocity the same as instantaneous velocity?

No, average velocity is the average rate of change over a specific period of time, while instantaneous velocity is the rate of change at a specific moment in time. Average velocity considers the entire motion of an object, while instantaneous velocity only looks at a specific point in the motion.

5. Why is it important to calculate the average velocity of a car?

Calculating the average velocity of a car is important in determining how fast it is moving and in what direction. This information can be used for various purposes, such as evaluating the performance of the car, predicting its future position, and analyzing its motion in relation to other objects.