Is this too much for a semester?

• Thread starter Fizicks1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Semester
In summary, if you want to take four years to graduate, you should drop PDE. If you only have three years left, you should be fine.
Fizicks1
Starting my third and final year of university next week, and these are the courses I plan to take:

Quantum Mechanics II (Perturbation theory, Scattering theory, Variational principle, etc. Basically second half of Griffiths)

Nuclear and Particle Physics

Mathematical Methods in Physics

PDE

Abstract Algebra
Does this seem manageable, given that I want to do well in all courses? Or should I drop a course?

Any input appreciated. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
I know of at least one person who did just fine with a similarly intense load, in fact more intense.

However, you need to ask yourself whether or not you're willing to risk your grades, and what's the lowest you can stake and still progress towards your goals. Just my two cents.

You should be fine. That being said, why are you only taking three years to graduate? A much better plan, in my opinion, is to take a full four years. You can fit more total knowledge in and take it at a better pace. This ensures you can spend adequate time on each class to both learn the material in great detail as well as do well in the class. It also gives you more time to complete a senior research project. There is at least one person in my graduate program that got his undergraduate degree in three years. He was comparatively under-prepared relative to most of us.

I may be wrong here but wouldn't the math methods and PDE's classes have a lot of overlap? Last semester I took 3 of the 5 classes you mentioned (QM II, PDE and Abstract Algebra). My fourth one was E&M I. I felt like I could have taken a fifth not-so difficult class since I did have some free time. I initially started out with GR as a fifth class but that made the load a lot heavier so I had to drop that one. So I would say its doable if you work your butt off.

Thanks to all for the replies.
Arsenic&Lace said:
I know of at least one person who did just fine with a similarly intense load, in fact more intense.

However, you need to ask yourself whether or not you're willing to risk your grades, and what's the lowest you can stake and still progress towards your goals. Just my two cents.

Well I want to get absolutely nothing lower than a B+. Preferably all in the A range.
ZombieFeynman said:
You should be fine. That being said, why are you only taking three years to graduate? A much better plan, in my opinion, is to take a full four years. You can fit more total knowledge in and take it at a better pace. This ensures you can spend adequate time on each class to both learn the material in great detail as well as do well in the class. It also gives you more time to complete a senior research project. There is at least one person in my graduate program that got his undergraduate degree in three years. He was comparatively under-prepared relative to most of us.

I would love to have four years, but unfortunately I can't, as I'm not studying in America and there are only 3 years of university where I'm from.

ahsanxr said:
I may be wrong here but wouldn't the math methods and PDE's classes have a lot of overlap? Last semester I took 3 of the 5 classes you mentioned (QM II, PDE and Abstract Algebra). My fourth one was E&M I. I felt like I could have taken a fifth not-so difficult class since I did have some free time. I initially started out with GR as a fifth class but that made the load a lot heavier so I had to drop that one. So I would say its doable if you work your butt off.

Yes there is quite a bit of overlap between PDE and Math Methods, which make it kind of like I'm actually taking four and a half courses :tongue:.

I've emailed a professor and he recommends me dropping PDE, as he said 5 PHYS/MATH courses is a little heavy, and since there is overlap with Math Methods. But I don't really want to, as PDE is so important in higher level physics that I want a relatively more comprehensive study on it. And besides, the fact that it has overlap actually makes it more encouraging to take it as well, as I can learn and receive the credits of two courses but probably with less work.

1. Is it possible to take on too many courses in one semester?

Yes, it is possible to take on too many courses in one semester. This can lead to a heavy workload, stress, and potential burnout. It is important to carefully consider your course load and prioritize your responsibilities.

2. How many courses should I take in one semester?

The number of courses you should take in one semester depends on various factors, such as your personal abilities, time commitments, and academic goals. It is recommended to consult with your academic advisor to determine the appropriate course load for you.

3. Can taking too many courses affect my grades?

Yes, taking too many courses can potentially affect your grades. It may be difficult to keep up with the workload and properly dedicate time to each course, leading to lower grades. It is important to strike a balance between challenging yourself and maintaining a manageable workload.

4. How can I manage a heavy course load in one semester?

To manage a heavy course load in one semester, it is important to prioritize your responsibilities and create a schedule that allows for proper time management. It may also be helpful to seek support from professors, classmates, or academic resources on campus.

5. Are there any benefits to taking on a heavy course load in one semester?

Taking on a heavy course load in one semester can have potential benefits, such as completing your degree in a shorter amount of time or challenging yourself academically. However, it is important to consider the potential drawbacks and make a decision that is best for your individual situation.