Is Transferring to a Top-10 University for Physics Worth It?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
spb
Messages
13
Reaction score
0
Hello all,
Right now I'm at a decent university for undergraduate physics, but I'm considering transferring to one of the top 10 (graduate) schools found here:

http://grad-schools.usnews.rankings...raduate-schools/top-physics-schools/rankings"

Particularly the university of Chicago, if it matters. I'm not entirely sure if I'll be going to graduate school, but I feel that if I go to a better school than the one I currently attend, graduate school prospects and job prospects will be a lot better.

How important is the name of your undergraduate school? Will I be that much better off at a top-10, or should I stick with the program I'm in now? Does it matter if my degree is in "Physics" instead of "Physics with concentration in Astrophysics" or something along those lines?

Thanks
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
In the end, the work that you do on your own, whether in college or not, is what matters.

Environment is very important. Find a place where you feel comfortable, whether a top 10 or a top 500, and make things happen for yourself.