1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is trigonometry required for calculus

1. Feb 3, 2012 #1
    Hello, I've recently been reading "Calculus made Easy" and realized that I've completely skipped over learning trigonometry. After the class I was taking (seventh grade advanced math, sadly) became completely insufficient for my desire to learn. I picked up the book at the local library, unfortunately forgetting about trigonometry until I ran into sine and cosine references. So I was wondering if knowing trigonometry is required for calculus or if I should just get the basic grasp on it.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 3, 2012 #2

Char. Limit

Gold Member

It's helpful to have a basic sense of what the sine and cosine represent. Most of trigonometry isn't used for calculus, though.

4. Feb 3, 2012 #3

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

For better or worse if you are going to anything with calculus, it is hard to avoid trigonometry.

5. Feb 3, 2012 #4

Char. Limit

Gold Member

Never mind what I said earlier. This guy's right.

6. Feb 3, 2012 #5

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

You'll need to know about sines, cosines, tangents, etc. You'll absolutely need to know about identities with those things. Identities like [itex]\cos^2(x)+\sin^2(x)=1[/itex] or [itex]2\cos(x)\sin(x)=\sin(2x)[/itex] are important.

Less important are the triangle-thingies. Formulas like sohcahtoa or the cosine rule are not so prevalent.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook