Is trying to go into fusion realistic at this point?

  • Topic: Other 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Luke Velie
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Fusion Point
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 2K views
Luke Velie
Messages
7
Reaction score
0
Hi guys,
I posted about a closely related subject earlier, but with more and more research, all I have found regarding fusion energy is pure pessimism, and that it will always be a theoretical hope that just won’t happen. For example, the Bulletin of Atomic Scientists basically says that international projects such as ITER are just using a ton of fossil fuel energy, and their results aren’t even sufficient (not to mention they’re still like 15-20 years away). With that in mind, my fusion energy study ambitions have exponentially fallen, and I’m wondering if it might just be more practical if I go into some sort of renewable energy engineering such as solar engineering, geothermal engineering, wind turbine engineering, or tidal wave (hydroelectric) engineering? Fusion power very much interests me, but if it’s just a theoretical concept not likely to happen within the next 20-40 years, then what’s the point, is basically the conclusion I’ve reached. However, if the Bulletin and other sources are being overly critical and pessimistic, then which sort of fusion research would be more promising to go into - magnetic confinement, or inertial confinement? From what I understand, magnetic confinement uses magnetohydrodynamics and tokamaks, and inertial confinement is laser-based. I can’t find very many clear or credible answers online of which is more promising.

Thanks!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
There have been some discussions about it here. Have you tried a forum search?
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Luke Velie
Suppose you ignore the timelines of the opponents, many of whom have axes to grind, and only look at the timeline of the proponents.
  1. ITER started in 2006 with a planned 2016 start.
  2. The first plasma experiments are now planned for 2025 with D-T fusion starting in 2035.
  3. The ITER successor, DEMO is planned to have construction begin in 2030 and have electricity generation in 2048. This was based on a 2016 start of ITER, so with no additional delays, just sliding the schedule gives a 2057 start.
From that, your guess is as good as mine as to when a commercial reactor would come on line. I don't see this as happening before 2070. One way to look at this is that few careers have such a timeline planned out so far in advance. Most careers zig and zag in unplanned directions.
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Luke Velie
phinds said:
There have been some discussions about it here. Have you tried a forum search?
I was unaware there were - where can I find them?
 
Vanadium 50 said:
Suppose you ignore the timelines of the opponents, many of whom have axes to grind, and only look at the timeline of the proponents.
  1. ITER started in 2006 with a planned 2016 start.
  2. The first plasma experiments are now planned for 2025 with D-T fusion starting in 2035.
  3. The ITER successor, DEMO is planned to have construction begin in 2030 and have electricity generation in 2048. This was based on a 2016 start of ITER, so with no additional delays, just sliding the schedule gives a 2057 start.
From that, your guess is as good as mine as to when a commercial reactor would come on line. I don't see this as happening before 2070. One way to look at this is that few careers have such a timeline planned out so far in advance. Most careers zig and zag in unplanned directions.
Okay, so since I’m focused on a timely (as in next 15-20 years) way to fight climate change and do something with renewable energy, the solar or geothermal route might be the way to go. Thanks!
 
Luke Velie said:
I was unaware there were - where can I find them?
upload_2018-10-21_13-14-4.png
 
Attachments
  • upload_2018-10-21_13-14-4.png
    upload_2018-10-21_13-14-4.png
    8.9 KB · Views: 431
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: CalcNerd and boneh3ad