Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is Walgreens labeling their customers?

1. Mar 28, 2006 #1

Evo

Staff: Mentor

I just think this is one of the funniest interviews I've read in a long time. I am against frivolous lawsuits and he's right, although it was an incredibly stupid mistake on Walgreen's part, is a lawsuit warranted over hurt feelings? It wasn't a publicly issued statement, so libel and slander don't apply.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12038728/

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 28, 2006 #2

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:rofl: By the second paragraph, you know why they are being labeled "crazy." :rofl:

*cough ahem* I mean, yes, that was very unprofessional of Walgreens, and the employees involved should be reprimanded.

4. Mar 28, 2006 #3

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Wasn't the idea of giving out money for no reason established in Lawyers vs. Justice?

5. Mar 28, 2006 #4

Evo

I think in America you don't really need a reason to ask for money, you just do it and the company will pay because it's cheaper than fighting it. :devil:

6. Mar 28, 2006 #5

Pengwuino

Gold Member

im offended by that smile. Consider yourself sued.

7. Mar 28, 2006 #6

Evo

:frown: <stuffs money into Pengwuino's computer>

8. Mar 28, 2006 #7

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Thank you.

Sucker

I don't even have a lawyer!

9. Mar 28, 2006 #8
    Now that's just stupid. Who's dumb enough to put such language in official company records let alone ones that the customers they are talking about are going to have handed to them.
    Those people seriously deserve to lose thier jobs. I think that the crazy lady should just get over it though and not try to con people out of money this way.

10. Mar 28, 2006 #9
    I think someone should sue Tucker Carlson for wearing a boe tie. He looks like a 5 year old. I would not be suprised if the medicine he gets is labeled crazy too.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2006
  11. Mar 28, 2006 #10

Pengwuino

Gold Member

I should sue you

12. Mar 28, 2006 #11
    You can't sue people when your dead.

13. Mar 28, 2006 #12

Pengwuino

Gold Member

You obviously know nothing about the US legal system :devil: :devil: :devil:

14. Mar 28, 2006 #13

JamesU

Gold Member

I'm sure there's some loophole that allows it..

15. Mar 28, 2006 #14
    After looking at that article I think walgreens is competly right and it is based off of secientific/medical data and I think should be taken seourisly and be put on the prescription bags

16. Mar 28, 2006 #15

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

They just need code words like physicians have...things that sound medical but mean "hypochondriac" and "prescribe placebo."

17. Mar 29, 2006 #16
    People have to go to the pharmacist for all kinds of medications, all of them for ailments that anyone could make viscious fun of if they wanted. They could be writing "careless b*t*h" next to any woman getting a med for an STD, and "pathetic crip" next to an old man on crutches getting painkillers after an operation on blocked leg arteries, and "Miss Shakey" next to a woman with Parkinson's. Its a matter of common business sense that you don't behave abusively to your customers: they're paying your rent, and buying your groceries. I don't think it's a frivilous lawsuit.

18. Mar 29, 2006 #17

Evo

Make sure it's not printed on the patient's bag. :bugeye:

19. Mar 29, 2006 #18

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I don't see why there's sufficient reason to sue for monetary damages, as these people are doing. It does seem to be a serious ethical issue that should be reported to the state board for pharmacy if the pharmacist was the one involved in this, and any and every employee involved should have been reprimanded, probably even fired, but I just don't see how monetary damages are necessitated. I don't even see how any sort of lawsuit is necessary here. I could see even publicizing it and calling for a boycott if Walgreens didn't take action and reprimand the employees involved, but still not a lawsuit.

20. Mar 29, 2006 #19
    Yes, I realize you don't see it, and there's no way to persuade you since your first instinct was to snicker at the "crazy" people along with the Walgreen's pharmacists:

I don't believe you think there's any "serious ethical issue" or that reprimands and firings are in order either.

21. Mar 29, 2006 #20

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

No, I do think there's a serious ethical issue, but the reaction they had to it does seem rather overblown to the point of absurdity...i.e., crazy. I stated quite directly that I do think reprimands are in order, so don't try telling me I think otherwise, because even if you're honing those mind-reading skills, you're not going to find anything different other than what I stated. But their claims of the damages inflicted by it are absolutely outrageous as well, obviously exagerrated to try to get money. Perhaps the problem is that our culture of lawsuits has led everyone to think everything can be fixed by just squeezing money out of someone else. Nobody even tries to solve their problems on their own anymore, they just run straight to the lawyers' office and demand bribes to shut up about their complaints...that's usually the outcome, the companies just pay to avoid dragging out a lawsuit and include a clause in the settlement that keeps them from talking about it, so it gets quietly brushed under the rug.

For all we know, it could have been a disgruntled former employee who did this and nobody realized it until someone saw the labels. I'm not saying that made it okay, just that if the employee was already fired, other than apologize profusely and have someone examine every record that former employee had access to, what is there really to do?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?