Is wave and heat equation with zero boundary Poisson Equation?

In summary, the conversation discussed the relationship between Poisson, Wave, and Heat equations and the method of solving these equations with non zero boundary conditions using superposition of homogeneous and particular solutions. It was confirmed that the Heat and Wave equations are not the same as the Poisson equation and that the standard method for solving these equations with non zero boundary conditions is through superposition.
yungman
I have two questions:
(1)As the tittle, if [itex]u(a,\theta,t)=0[/itex], is
[tex]\frac{\partial{u}}{\partial {t}}=\frac{\partial^2{u}}{\partial {r}^2}+\frac{1}{r}\frac{\partial{u}}{\partial {r}}+\frac{1}{r^2}\frac{\partial^2{u}}{\partial {\theta}^2}[/tex]
and
[tex]\frac{\partial^2{u}}{\partial {t}^2}=\frac{\partial^2{u}}{\partial {r}^2}+\frac{1}{r}\frac{\partial{u}}{\partial {r}}+\frac{1}{r^2}\frac{\partial^2{u}}{\partial {\theta}^2}[/tex]
Just Poisson Equation
[tex]\nabla^2u=h(r,\theta,t)[/tex]
Where
[tex] h(r,\theta,t)=\frac{\partial{u}}{\partial {t}}\;\hbox { or }\;h(r,\theta,t)=\frac{\partial^2{u}}{\partial {t}^2}\;\hbox{ respectively.}[/tex](2)AND if [itex]u(a,\theta,t)=f(r,\theta,t)[/itex], then we have to use superposition of Poisson with zero boundary plus Dirichlet with [itex]u(a,\theta,t)=f(r,\theta,t)[/itex]?

That is

[tex] u(r,\theta,t)=u_1+u_2[/tex]
where
[tex]\nabla^2u_1=h(r,\theta,t)\;\hbox { with }\;u(a,\theta,t)=0[/tex]
and
[tex]\nabla^2u_2=0\;\hbox { with }\;u(a,\theta,t)=f(r,\theta,t)[/tex]

Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
yungman said:
(1)As the tittle, if [itex]u(a,\theta,t)=0[/itex], is
[tex]\frac{\partial{u}}{\partial {t}}=\frac{\partial^2{u}}{\partial {r}^2}+\frac{1}{r}\frac{\partial{u}}{\partial {r}}+\frac{1}{r^2}\frac{\partial^2{u}}{\partial {\theta}^2}[/tex]
and
[tex]\frac{\partial^2{u}}{\partial {t}^2}=\frac{\partial^2{u}}{\partial {r}^2}+\frac{1}{r}\frac{\partial{u}}{\partial {r}}+\frac{1}{r^2}\frac{\partial^2{u}}{\partial {\theta}^2}[/tex]
Just Poisson Equation
[tex]\nabla^2u=h(r,\theta,t)[/tex]
Where
[tex] h(r,\theta,t)=\frac{\partial{u}}{\partial {t}}\;\hbox { or }\;h(r,\theta,t)=\frac{\partial^2{u}}{\partial {t}^2}\;\hbox{ respectively.}[/tex]
No. Wave, diffusion, and Poisson's equations are all fundamentally different kinds of PDEs (lookup classification or characteristics in one of your PDE books). However, you can pretend that [itex]h[/itex] is an arbitrary function and formally solve your first two equations. However, your "solution" will be in the form of an integral equation for [itex]u[/itex] (actually, the integral will contain time derivatives of [itex]u[/itex] ...). This kind of trick might be helpful if you have nice approximate/numerical techniques that work well for the integral equation; then again it might just lead to a different mess that you still do not know how to solve.

I'm not sure I understand question 2.

jason

Likes 1 person
jasonRF said:
No. Wave, diffusion, and Poisson's equations are all fundamentally different kinds of PDEs (lookup classification or characteristics in one of your PDE books). However, you can pretend that [itex]h[/itex] is an arbitrary function and formally solve your first two equations. However, your "solution" will be in the form of an integral equation for [itex]u[/itex] (actually, the integral will contain time derivatives of [itex]u[/itex] ...). This kind of trick might be helpful if you have nice approximate/numerical techniques that work well for the integral equation; then again it might just lead to a different mess that you still do not know how to solve.

I'm not sure I understand question 2.

jason

Thanks for you reply. The reason I asked is when I look at the examples and exercises I see a definite relation where if the boundary is not zero, they use superposition of two where

(1) Assuming [itex] \frac{\partial{u}}{\partial {t}}\neq 0[/itex] and then solve it as if it's a Poisson problem with zero boundary.

(2) Assuming [itex] \frac{\partial{u}}{\partial {t}}=0[/itex] and then solve it as if it's a Dirichlet problem with non zero boundary.

The methodology is exactly the same as solving Poisson problem with non zero boundary.

The second part is just what I said above that solving Heat and Wave problem with non zero boundary is exactly like solving Poisson problem with non zero boundary.

Thanks

If this way of superposition technique might not work well with Heat and Wave problem, what is the standard way of solving Heat and Wave problems with non zero boundary?

Yes, you can use superposition to solve linear problems. We find a particular solution, then add an appropriate homogeneous solution such that the total solution satisfies the equation and all appropriate conditions.

I just didn't understand how (2) related to (1) ... or are they independent questions altogether?
jason

Likes 1 person
jasonRF said:
Yes, you can use superposition to solve linear problems. We find a particular solution, then add an appropriate homogeneous solution such that the total solution satisfies the equation and all appropriate conditions.

I just didn't understand how (2) related to (1) ... or are they independent questions altogether?
jason

Thanks for the reply

(2) is just another way to say about non zero boundary [itex]u(a,\theta,t)=f(\theta, t)[/itex]. Which you already confirmed that the method of solving is using superposition just like solving Poisson problem with non zero boundary.

You answered all my questions:

1) That Heat and Wave equations are not Poisson equation.

2) The method of solving Heat and Wave with non zero boundary is by superposition of the homogeneous solution plus particular solution...Just like solving Poisson with non zero boundary.

1. What is the difference between wave equation and heat equation?

The wave equation describes the propagation of waves, which can be mechanical (such as sound waves) or electromagnetic (such as light waves). It involves the second derivative of the wave function with respect to time. On the other hand, the heat equation describes the diffusion of heat, and involves the second derivative of the temperature function with respect to space.

2. What does it mean for the boundary conditions to be zero in a Poisson equation?

In a Poisson equation, the boundary conditions refer to the values of the solution at the boundaries of the domain. When these values are set to zero, it means that the solution is equal to zero at the boundaries. This is also known as the homogeneous boundary condition.

3. Can the wave equation and heat equation be combined into a single equation?

No, the wave equation and heat equation are two separate equations that describe different physical phenomena. They cannot be combined into a single equation.

4. What is the significance of the Poisson equation in physics?

The Poisson equation is a fundamental equation in physics that describes the relationship between the distribution of a physical quantity and its sources. It is used to model a wide range of phenomena, including electrostatics, fluid dynamics, and heat transfer.

5. How are the wave equation, heat equation, and Poisson equation solved?

These equations are typically solved using mathematical methods such as separation of variables, Fourier series, or finite difference methods. These methods involve breaking down the equations into simpler parts and solving them one by one to obtain a complete solution.