Is Wave-Particle Duality Really Real? An Analysis of the Double Slit Experiment

In summary: the phenomenon that explains the disappearance of the interference pattern... is not a property of particles, but of the whole system in which they are found.
mintparasol said:
Anyone?

The further from the nucleas of the atom, the faster and more energetic you get, so, yes. I don't know the exact numerical relationship, and I suspect it varies by atom, and how many electrons can 'occupy' each shell.

Physics news on Phys.org
The most interesting example is the 21cm Hydrogen radiation
How tiny the hydrogen atom is. And it emits 21cm wave!

Dmitry67 said:

Gotcha lol, well said.

Thanks!The reason is that interactions with the environment (the air) changes the statistical properties of the molecules, as more and more information about the paths taken can (in principle) be inferred by performing measurements on the state of the air. This proves that "wavefunction collapse" isn't a sudden and discontinuous physical process, and that "wave-particle duality" isn't about the system being either a wave or a particle. Apparently it's a little bit of both. For more information about this, see a book or a review article about decoherence.

mintparasol said:
Is the energy difference between the shells a function of the radial distance of the shells from the nucleus of the atom?

The shells are "smeared out" so you can't really think of them as having a definite distance from the nucleus. See these graphs of the radial probability distributions for hydrogen:

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/hydwf.html#c1

In multi-electron atoms, things get messier.

Frame Dragger said:
The further from the nucleas of the atom, the faster and more energetic you get, so, yes. I don't know the exact numerical relationship, and I suspect it varies by atom, and how many electrons can 'occupy' each shell.

Dmitry67 said:

jtbell said:
The shells are "smeared out" so you can't really think of them as having a definite distance from the nucleus. See these graphs of the radial probability distributions for hydrogen:

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/hydwf.html#c1

In multi-electron atoms, things get messier.

There goes my 'vision', ha!