Is Wearing a Toga to Class Beneficial for Student Learning and Focus?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Pengwuino
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Class
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
13 replies · 5K views
Pengwuino
Gold Member
Messages
5,112
Reaction score
20
So hopefully next semester i'll start my TAship and I'm faced with the question that has probably faced every TA before me. Do i wear a toga school from now on? Maybe at least to the first week of lab or first day? Studies1 have shown that lecturer's wearing togas and other ancient clothing increases student focus 10% and grades 15%.

DSCF98711.jpg

Grad student wearing a toga.

1. http://www.science.com/my_dream_last_night.pdf
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Cyrus said:
You have to be a TA, HAAA-HAAA.

*GET. I GET to be a TA. I get the privilege of babysitting undergrads for slightly over minimum wage and 0 access to a refrigerator full of food.
 
Pengwuino said:
*GET. I GET to be a TA. I get the privilege of babysitting undergrads for slightly over minimum wage and 0 access to a refrigerator full of food.

Hahaha, enjoy it. Someday you'll get an RA, like a real man. You should be an aerospace engineer. Were going to NASA langley, and instead of driving all the way down the CEO of the company is going to fly us there in his personal airplane. There's still time to change you know... I'm just saying.
 
Our university isn't a research university, just a masters program, and thus, no RA's.

I don't know what's so great about getting a TAship. I could go get a real part-time job for more money.
 
Pengwuino said:
I don't know what's so great about getting a TAship. I could go get a real part-time job for more money.

My friend has been working as a TA and making quite a bit of money. Maybe it has to do with the class and the school.
 
Cyrus said:
You have to be a TA, HAAA-HAAA.

I get paid like $27 an hour for being a TA, and will be up to $30 an hour next year.

Only an idiot wouldn't TA over here. Get 10 hours a week, and you lock in $300 a week. Not even including everything else.
 
Wow, that's some pretty good pay...I wish I made that much at my job! (Heck I would settle making half of what you make)
 
Pengwuino said:
SDo i wear a toga school from now on?
Only for classical mechanics
 
JasonRox said:
I get paid like $27 an hour for being a TA, and will be up to $30 an hour next year.

Only an idiot wouldn't TA over here. Get 10 hours a week, and you lock in $300 a week. Not even including everything else.

Wow, those are good hourly rates. Here its min wage.
 
Does it include preparation/marking time - or only 'in front of the student' hours?
That's why I always did lab demonstrating - it's all paid time.
 
JasonRox said:
I get paid like $27 an hour for being a TA, and will be up to $30 an hour next year.

Only an idiot wouldn't TA over here. Get 10 hours a week, and you lock in $300 a week. Not even including everything else.

forgive me for asking a stupid question, so that hourly rate is on top of the stipend?
 
mgb_phys said:
Does it include preparation/marking time - or only 'in front of the student' hours?
That's why I always did lab demonstrating - it's all paid time.

I get paid for everything. Prep, marking and everything. Usually they allocate hours for marking but usually they give you more hours than required, so I'm making free money. This only works if you're experienced.

Yes, it's on top of the money they already give me.
 
Screw the money. If you get to wear a toga to work, it's worth it!