Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is wyoming a good place to live ?

1. Apr 9, 2006 #1
    Is wyoming a good place to live ?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 9, 2006 #2

loseyourname

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

They'll pay you to live there. Has anybody honestly been there to say, though? It has the smallest population of any US state and isn't exactly situated on the path of any major roads. I've certainly never been.

4. Apr 9, 2006 #3
    That depends. Are you a moose?

5. Apr 9, 2006 #4

mrjeffy321

Science Advisor

In Wyoming,
    "You can look farther and see less than anywhere else".
    Even though this saying technically refers to Texas, it fits very well with Wyoming aswell.

There are places in Wyoming where there is NOTHING in any direction you look. I mean it is flat, wide open, just grass in every direction. And strangely enough, there are still fenses everywhere along the road.
    Some of the roads are so deserted you can drive for 50 miles without seeing a single person. I remember we were driving from Wyoming to South Dakota once on the highway, we were flying down the road at around 80 miles per hour, the only thing keeping us from going faster was the fear that their were cops hiding around the horizon waiting for people like us.

We were trying to drive from Casper Wyoming to Rapid Cits South Dakota in 4 hours or less to catch a plane. We also wanted to see Mt. Rushmore along the way. Unfortunatly, we had to pass by Mt. Rushmore to get to the airport in time, we literally got to the airport check in 15 minutes before the plane was suppose to leave.

Then again, there are mountains in Wyoming too. I was only in the mountainous region briefly, bit that area can be quite nice too, very secluded.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2006
  6. Apr 9, 2006 #5

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It depends on how you define "good." I've never been there, but I know someone in Laramie. If you love the great outdoors and don't mind being secluded from the amenities of cities...or even large suburbs...then you might think it's good.

7. Apr 10, 2006 #6

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I have to disagree with some that has been said. I80 perhaps the main east west Interstate passes right through Wy. As for nothing but grass, I must differ with that also. I80 crosses the Continental divide in Wy. It takes what was called the south pass, which is so gentle (even though it is over 2000m ) that you can't tell when you cross the divide. It is completely desolate through the pass, there is not even much grass growing just rocks.

As for driving 50 mi and not seeing anybody, that would be on a busy day.

If you are into the outdoors, along with hot summers and bitter cold winters then Wy is the place for you. Not sure what you find in the way of a job. Ranch work should be easy to find, but that is Work with a cap W. Not a good match for a city person.

8. Apr 10, 2006 #7

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Jackson Hole and the Tetons! The Snake River! :tongue2:

Yellowstone! :tongue2:

That's where to live.

9. Apr 10, 2006 #8
  10. Apr 10, 2006 #9

mrjeffy321

Science Advisor

I head during the winter, there is so much snow and the temperature gets so low that people will go out driviving on the highway and might run off the road. The car will stay there until spring, frozen in a block of ice.

My experience in Wyoming was all along I25, going as far Noth as Casper and down just short of Cheyenne.
    http://gocalifornia.about.com/library/graphics/map-hwy-wy-naus.jpg
    As you can see from this topographical map,
    http://gocalifornia.about.com/library/graphics/map-topo-wy-naus.jpg
    There isnt much of a change in heigh along that area going North on I25 onto I26 into South Dakota.

11. Apr 10, 2006 #10

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

...until you come up on the Tetons - and that's a really long shot from "nothing" ! Its among the best hiking and rock-climbing country as you're likely to find in this part of the world.

12. Apr 10, 2006 #11

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

According to Annie Proulx, Wyoming is a very nice place to live.
    (Heard that in an interview with her)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?