Is Youtube Buffering Slowly for Everyone Lately?

• Thread starter WannabeNewton
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Youtube
In summary, people are having problems with the buffer rate of youtube videos during the past week. The problem is occurring with every computer in a person's house, and it is a relatively new thing. It seems to be fixed now, but is likely to return tomorrow afternoon or evening.
WannabeNewton
Science Advisor
Is anyone else having a problem specifically with the buffer rate of youtube videos during the past week (particularly at peak hours EST)? Video streaming from various other sites (e.g. yahoo) works just fine and I can browse and download things from websites as fast as I always could but when I try to watch youtube videos, the buffer speed starts to become really random. Certain videos take forever to buffer and keep stopping and loading whereas other videos load just fine. This has only been happening during the past week or so. So yeah, anyone else with the same problem? Is it a youtube server issue? I tried clearing the cache and rebooting like a billion times but it isn't helping (not even temporarily). The problem is occurring with every computer in my house. I tried accessing youtube using various browsers (firefox, chrome etc.) but the problem persists.

Physics news on Phys.org
I've actually noticed the same issue. I was trying to watch some longer videos last night, and it was stopping to buffer so often, that I just paused the video and left my computer for like 5 minutes so it could load. I had to do this a couple times. I haven't really noticed any issues with any other sites running slowly. I'm using Firefox.

I hear ya. Like right now youtube is working just fine, because it is 3 AM so the traffic isn't as high as far as the east coast is concerned, but tomorrow afternoon / evening it will most likely be back to its annoying state of buffering over and over for every other video, just like the past few days. It's really pissing me off because literally everything else internet-wise is working just perfectly-it's just youtube that is being a pain.

No idea about exact hours, but I have similar problems. Quite often it sends just a few initial seconds and then hangs up. And it is a relatively new thing, last week or two.

Strange. I have this problem since months/years. But now that I have upgraded my internet connection (about 10 times faster than before), I notice it more. Sometimes when I want to watch a video in 480p/720p, the video won't load at all, or very slowly. I refresh the page and usually the buffering is incredibly fast. Sometimes refreshing makes no difference. And yeah my connection is just fine, the problem is youtube for sure.

Edit: I tried to browse some videos in France (my mother has an ultra fast internect connection), I also had this problem. Extremely slow to none buffering for HD videos. I don't remember if refreshing was fixing things though.

It seems to be fixed now, as soon as the comedy week thing ended. Weird. I don't know if it is a temporary fix or not.

it's the distributive nature of youtube's storage and queuing system. if you know how to block IPs on your firewall, rejecting packets from certain ones may speed up the streaming process but i haven't tested this so i don't know how well it actually works. though people have reported improved playback speeds. you can google which ranges to block and try it yourself

I tried doing that already actually, it didn't help unfortunately. And now the problem is back :[

1. Why is my Youtube video buffering slowly?

There are several reasons why a Youtube video may be buffering slowly. It could be due to a slow internet connection, high traffic on the website, or a problem with your device's hardware or software.

2. How can I fix slow buffering on Youtube?

To fix slow buffering on Youtube, try refreshing the page, clearing your browser's cache and cookies, or switching to a different browser. You can also try connecting to a different internet network or upgrading your internet plan.

3. Why does Youtube buffer even when my internet speed is fast?

Youtube buffering can occur even with a fast internet speed due to high traffic on the website. During peak hours, the website may experience a high volume of users, causing videos to buffer even with a fast internet speed.

4. Can my device affect Youtube buffering speed?

Yes, the type and condition of your device can affect Youtube buffering speed. Older devices may have slower internet speeds, and outdated software can also cause buffering issues.

5. Is there a way to prevent Youtube from buffering?

While it is not possible to completely prevent Youtube from buffering, there are some steps you can take to reduce the frequency of buffering. These include using a faster internet connection, closing other tabs and applications, and minimizing video quality to reduce the amount of data being streamed.