Isolating variable confounded by cursed reciprocals

• Thread starter Atomised
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Variable
In summary, the conversation discusses how to solve for x and y in terms of t given the equations xy = 1 and x(t^2)-y = (t^3)-1/t. The conversation includes attempts at solving the equations and suggests using a substitution to simplify the problem. It is eventually determined that there are two solutions for x and y, and the conversation concludes with acknowledging this and expressing the importance of experimenting with substitutions in problem-solving.
Atomised
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Given

1) xy = 1

2) x(t^2)-y = (t^3)-1/t

Express x in t, y in t
2. The attempt at a solutionx/t = [(tx+1)(td-1)] / [(t^2)-1] but I still can't separate t and x, driving me mad it is.

Also subtracted 1) from 2) to obtain

(t^2)x - (t^3) +1/t -1/x = 0

but no progress from there.

Physics news on Phys.org
Atomised said:

That's a good start. You can get rid of the fractions by multiplying everything by tx.

Then, if you know t and you want to find x, what sort of equation do you have?

Likes 1 person
(x - t) (x t^3 + 1) = 0, therefore x = t, and (1) implies y = 1/t.

Solved thank you very much. I am self studying and this forum is incredibly helpful.

Atomised said:

Homework Statement

Given

1) xy = 1

2) x(t^2)-y = (t^3)-1/t

Express x in t, y in t

2. The attempt at a solution

x/t = [(tx+1)(td-1)] / [(t^2)-1] but I still can't separate t and x, driving me mad it is.

Also subtracted 1) from 2) to obtain

but no progress from there.

If your second equation is
[tex] t^2 x - y = t^3 - \frac{1}{t}[/tex]
then, substituting y = 1/x from the first equation gives you
[tex] t^2 x - \frac{1}{x} = t^3 - \frac{1}{t}[/tex]
so if you divide through by t you find that the 'variable' ##z = xt## obeys
[tex] z - \frac{1}{z} = t^2 - \frac{1}{t^2}[/tex]
There are two solutions for ##z##.

Likes 1 person
Atomised said:
(x - t) (x t^3 + 1) = 0, therefore x = t.

There are two solutions to that quadratic equation. not one. if AB = 0, either A = 0, or B = 0.

Likes 1 person
Full Solution

AlephZero said:
There are two solutions to that quadratic equation. not one. if AB = 0, either A = 0, or B = 0.

[itex]x_1=t\\ y_1=1/x\\ x_2=-1/t^3\\ y_2=-t^3[/itex]

Ray Vickson said:
If your second equation is
[tex] t^2 x - y = t^3 - \frac{1}{t}[/tex]
then, substituting y = 1/x from the first equation gives you
[tex] t^2 x - \frac{1}{x} = t^3 - \frac{1}{t}[/tex]
so if you divide through by t you find that the 'variable' ##z = xt## obeys
[tex] z - \frac{1}{z} = t^2 - \frac{1}{t^2}[/tex]
There are two solutions for ##z##.

It is not immediately apparent to me what the advantage of making this substitution is. Is it that it makes apparent that $$z=t^2$$ and therefore $$x=t$$

Or could it be that it is suggesting the difference of two squares identity, which I cannot see how to use?

Atomised said:
It is not immediately apparent to me what the advantage of making this substitution is. Is it that it makes apparent that $$z=t^2$$ and therefore $$x=t$$

Or could it be that it is suggesting the difference of two squares identity, which I cannot see how to use?

You can do it however you want; it all amounts in the end to finding the two solutions of a quadratic equation. However, the form ##z - 1/z = t^2 - 1/t^2## has nice "symmetry" that allows one to spot the two solutions right away, with almost no work. The solutions are ##z = t^2## and ##z = -1/t^2##. The point is that both sides of this equation involve differences of terms that are reciprocals of each other, and that makes the solution easy to write down.

I cannot figure out why you refuse to acknowledge that there are two solutions.

Likes 1 person
Ray Vickson said:
You can do it however you want; it all amounts in the end to finding the two solutions of a quadratic equation. However, the form ##z - 1/z = t^2 - 1/t^2## has nice "symmetry" that allows one to spot the two solutions right away, with almost no work. The solutions are ##z = t^2## and ##z = -1/t^2##. The point is that both sides of this equation involve differences of terms that are reciprocals of each other, and that makes the solution easy to write down.

I cannot figure out why you refuse to acknowledge that there are two solutions.

Fully acknowledge two solutions - it was hare brained of me to omit in earlier post. I will experiment with substitutions more from now on.

What is isolating variable confounded by cursed reciprocals?

Isolating variable confounded by cursed reciprocals is a situation in which the relationship between two variables is distorted or confounded by the presence of a third variable that is related to both of them in a reciprocal manner. This makes it difficult to determine the true effect of the independent variable on the dependent variable.

How does isolating variable confounded by cursed reciprocals occur?

Isolating variable confounded by cursed reciprocals can occur when there is an unmeasured or uncontrolled variable that is related to both the independent and dependent variables in a reciprocal manner. This can lead to misleading or erroneous conclusions about the true relationship between the variables of interest.

What are the consequences of isolating variable confounded by cursed reciprocals?

The consequences of isolating variable confounded by cursed reciprocals include a distorted understanding of the true relationship between variables, which can lead to incorrect conclusions and interpretations. This can also make it difficult to replicate or generalize findings to other contexts.

How can isolating variable confounded by cursed reciprocals be addressed?

To address isolating variable confounded by cursed reciprocals, it is important to carefully consider potential confounding variables and control for them in the research design. Additionally, using statistical techniques such as regression analysis can help to isolate the effect of the independent variable on the dependent variable while controlling for potential confounding variables.

What are some examples of isolating variable confounded by cursed reciprocals?

Examples of isolating variable confounded by cursed reciprocals include the relationship between education level and income, where the effect of education on income may be confounded by other factors such as intelligence or socioeconomic status. Another example is the relationship between exercise and weight loss, where the effect of exercise on weight loss may be confounded by factors such as diet or genetics.