Issue with the newest Firefox on Mac

• Bug
  • Thread starter Moonbear
  • Start date
In summary, there were some issues with the forum software not being compatible with the latest Firefox upgrade. Some users experienced missing buttons and unresponsive formatting buttons. There were also reports of script errors and pop-ups. To resume a download with Firefox, the download can be paused and resumed from the download window, but there is a risk of the downloaded file becoming corrupted. Other users suggest logging out and back in or clearing browser cache to fix missing features. Some speculate that the issue may be caused by caching proxy servers or browser cache.
Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Well, this might be as much of a Firefox bug as a PF one...or just that the forum software isn't ready for whatever just changed in the last browser upgrade.

I just upgraded to Firefox 3.0.10 on Mac OS 10.5.7 and in threads, the only button appearing under posts is the quote button. The edit, multiquote and report buttons all went missing! I don't know if that can be fixed or if I just need to wait for Firefox to be fixed.

Fortunately, everything still works in Safari.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm using firefox 3.0.10 on OS 10.5.7, and all the buttons are appearing for me. How bizarre!...

They showed up again last night. I don't know why, or where they went the first time. And I see them this morning. Maybe it's because I was using a Mac to comment in a thread on Windows and the computer had an allergic reaction?

So, unless it starts happening again, I guess it's best chalked up to a minor hiccup that could have been on my end.

OK. I'm using FoxFire 3.0.10 on Windows XP.

This morning in a Reply Advanced box, all of the formatting buttons in the box ... I presume all, I tried many ... were unresponsive. The next reply box I used, it was, however, all righted again.

On a side issue, perhaps related, I am frequently since a couple of days ago, maybe just yesterday, getting a script error on page loads after a several second delay.

It lists this url:
http://tag.contextweb.com/TAGPUBLISH/inline.js:1

Is this perhaps associated with those annoying cow-pie pop-ups that I have seen in a few of in the text areas?

Last edited by a moderator:
How do I resume a download with FireFox if my laptop was to turn off in the middle of it?
I am using the latest version of FireFox, and I am downloading a 1.2GB file and I doubt I can keep my laptop on for the whole duration of the download. Any idea, if possible, how to resume my download if I was to turn off my laptop?

Last edited by a moderator:
sarenax said:
How do I resume a download with FireFox if my laptop was to turn off in the middle of it?
I am using the latest version of FireFox, and I am downloading a 1.2GB file and I doubt I can keep my laptop on for the whole duration of the download. Any idea, if possible, how to resume my download if I was to turn off my laptop?
You can pause a download in Firefox by clicking the appropriate icon in the download window. If the download window isn't open you can open it by going to Tools > Downloads. When you re-open Firefox you should be able to resume your download by going to the same menu, provided that you haven't cleared your cache.

A word of caution: often when I pause and resume a download using Firefox, the downloaded file becomes corrupted, make sure you run a checksum on the file if available.

Sometimes (on other boards with similar software) features go missing, then log out and back in restores them.

I'm running Safari w/ Leopard on an Intel Macbook. Every once in a while when I edit a post, the controls are wrong. There'll be a 'vote now' button instead of 'save'. If such things are happening across multiple platforms, I suspect that the PF server is at fault. I don't know enough about computers to even guess at whether that would be a software or hardware problem, though.

Hmmm. I'd probably suspect a hiccup in some intervening caching proxy server (or your browser's own cache) before I'd suspect the site actually sending your browser the wrong image.

- Warren

1. Why is my Firefox browser not working properly on my Mac?

There could be several reasons for this issue. It could be due to a corrupt installation, outdated software, or conflicting extensions. It is recommended to try restarting your Mac, updating your Firefox browser to the latest version, and disabling any extensions to see if that resolves the problem.

2. How do I update my Firefox browser on Mac?

To update your Firefox browser on Mac, open the browser and click on the "Firefox" menu in the top left corner. Then click on "About Firefox" and the browser will automatically check for updates. If an update is available, click on "Restart to update Firefox" to complete the update.

3. Why does my Firefox browser keep crashing on my Mac?

This could be due to a variety of reasons, such as outdated software, conflicting extensions, or corrupt installation. Try updating your browser to the latest version, disabling any extensions, and clearing your browsing history and cache to see if that resolves the issue.

4. How do I clear my browsing history and cache on Firefox for Mac?

To clear your browsing history and cache on Firefox for Mac, click on the "History" menu in the top bar and select "Clear Recent History." In the pop-up window, choose the time range for which you want to clear the history and check the boxes next to "Browsing & Download History" and "Cache." Then click on "Clear Now."

5. Can I uninstall and reinstall Firefox on my Mac to fix the issue?

Yes, you can uninstall and reinstall Firefox on your Mac to fix any issues you may be experiencing. To uninstall, drag the Firefox application from the Applications folder to the Trash. Then, download the latest version of Firefox from the official website and follow the installation instructions.