1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Engineering IT Skills for Science/Engineering Environments

1. Jan 31, 2013 #1
    Hello,

I have been in the IT industry for a few years, and I have been gaining decent skills in networking, general IT, server administration, etc.

I eventually plan on going back to physics and/or engineering, so I was wondering if someone has any ideas on what skills are valuable in a lab or university settings when it comes to computing and IT? It might be nice to have those skills that could make me a more appealing candidate for a job or other opportunities.

In the business environment, MS and their products rule. So knowing things like Windows Server, Exchange, Active Directory, SharePoint, etc. is always in demand. I currently work for a software company and all the development here is done in the .NET framework and other related languages. All the servers are Windows servers.

I am currently working on honing my programming and scripting skills, and would love to get some more experience with Unix/Linux.

Any other suggestions?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 1, 2013 #2
    Where I work (large science and engineering org) typically IT people need Linux and UNIX skills as well as MS. Also the ability to write Python and shell scripts is very valuable. Sounds to me you are on the right track.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook