I've heard that mass loses energy, but how?

In summary, The professor discussed the concept of mass being an irregularity in the existence of the universe, which leads to the loss of energy. The explanation uses the analogy of three banks with three currencies to illustrate how symmetries are used to build the Standard Model of particle physics. The issue is that these symmetries tend to be broken, and the existence of mass means the universe has to lose some fundamental symmetries. The statement that mass is an irregularity should not be taken literally, but rather as a way to explain the concept that the absence of mass would result in more symmetries in the universe.
1832vin
i think i saw it in a sixty symbols video, but i can't seem to find it.
but i remember that the professor said that the existence mass is an irregularity, and that (universe?) looses energy when mass exist.

i'd like to know, if possible; how does it work technically, because i remember that the professor was using an analogy of 3 banks with 3 currencies
maybe fields?

thankyou

Physics news on Phys.org
1832vin said:
i think i saw it in a sixty symbols video, but i can't seem to find it.
but i remember that the professor said that the existence mass is an irregularity, and that (universe?) looses energy when mass exist.

Sounds like nonsense, but without a reference I can't be certain what the professor meant.

Drakkith said:
Sounds like nonsense, but without a reference I can't be certain what the professor meant.

i found the video!
but i still don't really get it, if you don't mind may you help me explain?

(i might have got something wrong?)

1832vin said:
i remember that the professor said that the existence mass is an irregularity, and that (universe?) looses energy when mass exist.
That's not what was said.
Not my forte this one, but from what I understand, symmetries are used to build the Standard Model of particle physics. The issue is, those symmetries tend to be broken.
This analogy explains why they have to be broken, or what it'd take for them not to be broken.
It's not that mass makes universe lose energy, it's that its existence means the universe has to lose some fundamental symmetries. Don't take it literally when Brady ventures a guess (and the prof. kinda agrees) that mass is an irregularity. What was meant is that if the universe had no mass, there would be some nice symmetries in how the fields interact.

1. What is the relationship between mass and energy?

The relationship between mass and energy is described by Albert Einstein's famous equation, E=mc², where E represents energy, m represents mass, and c represents the speed of light.

2. How does mass lose energy?

Mass can lose energy through various processes, such as nuclear reactions, chemical reactions, and electromagnetic radiation. In nuclear reactions, a small amount of mass is converted into a large amount of energy. In chemical reactions, the rearrangement of atoms results in a release of energy. Electromagnetic radiation, such as light, is also a form of energy that can be emitted by objects with mass.

3. Is the loss of mass always accompanied by the release of energy?

No, the loss of mass does not always result in the release of energy. For example, when an object loses mass due to evaporation or sublimation, the released energy is typically negligible. However, in processes such as nuclear reactions, the loss of mass is accompanied by a significant release of energy.

4. Can mass be converted into energy and vice versa?

Yes, mass and energy can be converted into each other according to Einstein's equation, E=mc². This means that a certain amount of mass can be converted into a certain amount of energy, and vice versa.

5. Does the loss of energy affect the mass of an object?

Yes, according to Einstein's equation, the loss of energy will also result in a loss of mass. This is because the two are equivalent and can be converted into each other. However, the amount of mass lost is typically very small and not noticeable on a macroscopic scale.