Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I've heard that mass loses energy, but how?

Tags:
  1. Sep 7, 2015 #1
    i think i saw it in a sixty symbols video, but i can't seem to find it.
    but i remember that the professor said that the existence mass is an irregularity, and that (universe?) looses energy when mass exist.

i'd like to know, if possible; how does it work technically, because i remember that the professor was using an analogy of 3 banks with 3 currencies
    maybe fields?

thankyou

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 7, 2015 #2

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

Sounds like nonsense, but without a reference I can't be certain what the professor meant.

4. Sep 7, 2015 #3
    i found the video!!
    but i still don't really get it, if you don't mind may you help me explain?

(i might have got something wrong?)

5. Sep 7, 2015 #4

Bandersnatch

Science Advisor

That's not what was said.
    Not my forte this one, but from what I understand, symmetries are used to build the Standard Model of particle physics. The issue is, those symmetries tend to be broken.
    This analogy explains why they have to be broken, or what it'd take for them not to be broken.
    It's not that mass makes universe lose energy, it's that its existence means the universe has to lose some fundamental symmetries. Don't take it literally when Brady ventures a guess (and the prof. kinda agrees) that mass is an irregularity. What was meant is that if the universe had no mass, there would be some nice symmetries in how the fields interact.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook