1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

IVP applications of second-order ODE

1. Mar 5, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Given the equation mx''+cx=cAsin(Ωt) with the initial conditions x(0)=0 and x'(0)=0.
    Solve the initial value problem for the case when Ω < ω and show that |x(t)| < H provided
    A < H(1-(Ω/ω)).

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

For my solution to the equation I got x(t)=(Aω/(ω^2-Ω^2))[ωsin(Ωt)-Ωsin(ωt)]

So, I'm hoping that this is right which I found using x(t)=x_h+x_p.
    But I'm completely confused about the second part to show that |x(t)| < H provided
    A < H(1-(Ω/ω)). :confused:

This is my first post here, so apologies if I'm not doing it right. :shy:
    Thanks in advance.
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 5, 2012 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Good work so far; you are almost there. Take the absolute value of both sides of your ##x(t)## equatiion and use this:$$
    |\omega \sin(\Omega t) - \Omega \sin(\omega t)|\le
    |\omega| | \sin(\Omega t)| + |\Omega| | \sin(\omega t)|
    \le \omega + \Omega$$and put in the overestimate given for A. See what drops out.

4. Mar 5, 2012 #3
    Ahh Ok, so it's my modulus work that's really poor!

I'm thinking you're equation changes mine to: Aω/(ω^2-Ω^2)<H(ω+Ω)

So with the substitution for A I get (ω-Ω)/(ω^2-Ω^2)<(ω+Ω)

So from this, could I finish by showing this is true? Or have I gone wrong again? I'm thinking that my Aω/(ω^2-Ω^2) should have changed when I was taking the modulus?

5. Mar 5, 2012 #4

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The contraction "you're" is a short form of "you are". The possessive case is "your". Also, while I'm commenting on your post, I should point out that you never told us what ##\omega## stands for. Best not to leave definitions out.

You will have less trouble if you will write out your full string of inequalities. You have$$
    x(t) = \frac{A\omega}{\omega^2-\Omega^2}(\omega \sin(\Omega t) - \Omega \sin(\omega t))$$Start by taking the absolute value of both sides:$$
    |x(t)|=\left| \frac{A\omega}{\omega^2-\Omega^2} \right| |\omega \sin(\Omega t) - \Omega \sin(\omega t)| \le ...$$Now continue the string on the right using what you know so far.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook