1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Jackson: t-minus three semesters and counting

1. Oct 14, 2009 #1
    Jackson: t-minus three semesters and counting!!!

Okay, help me with this thought-experiment: I was wondering how well-prepared for graduate (Jackson) electromagnetism I would be if I had studied the entirety of Griffith's "Intro...Electrodynamics" one year beforehand. What subject-matter would I still be missing, so to speak? I'll have a summer before I have to study out of Jackson's book, so I was wondering if there was anything I should study beforehand, as preparation. Would a math-course in partial-differential-equations (whatever that means...) help?

I also wish to study general relativity during the same semester: what prior-knowledge should I amass during the summer beforehand?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 15, 2009 #2

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Re: Jackson: t-minus three semesters and counting!!!

If "whatever that means" is your response to PDE's, you might be in trouble. Do Griffiths, take the PDE course, I assume you may have already taken an ODE course (ordinary differential equations). That should be a good starter...

4. Oct 15, 2009 #3

Ha ha...I just meant that I didn't know the PDE-course-description offhand. Now that I consult it: they speak of "Green's functions, Fourier series, and other classical techniques".

5. Oct 15, 2009 #4

Start assembling other EM textbooks that cover the same principles and have example problems worked out. Landau-Lifgarbagez...

6. Oct 15, 2009 #5

Pengwuino

Gold Member

I'm using Jackson right now and Green's Functions are some pretty wild stuff to learn, I recommend burning that knowledge into your head however you can. Fourier series is important as well, definitely. Understanding Legendre polynomials, bessel functions, spherical harmonics... stuff you'd find in a PDE course most likely, is good to know. Hell, just grab a mathematical physics book and go nuts on it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook