Jacobian Matrix of Residuals

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter zli034
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Jacobian Matrix
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 6K views
zli034
Messages
106
Reaction score
0
There are 2 parameters in the Gamma distribution, alpha and beta. If sample 500 of the Gamma random variable, there unbiased mean and variance can be estimated by the sample moments.

If it is also interested to estimate the variance and covariance of the parameters, alpha and beta; Jacobian matrix of residuals has to be defined, Jr. There fore the covariance matrix is:

inverse(transpose(Jr)residual)sample variance

I want to know about the calculation of the Jacobian matrix of residuals.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
zli034 said:
If it is also interested to estimate the variance and covariance of the parameters, alpha and beta

Do you mean "the variance and covariance of the estimators of the parameters"? The parameters themselves are constant, they don't have a variance.
 
Stephen Tashi said:
Do you mean "the variance and covariance of the estimators of the parameters"? The parameters themselves are constant, they don't have a variance.

Yes, I should stated more clearly. How to do the covariance of the estimators? I use too much simulation methods, this kind exact formulation I did not work with before.