James Webb space telescope and fundamental physics

Main Question or Discussion Point

Does JWST has any significance in fundamental physics research? What kind of questions would we get answers to?

Answers and Replies

phinds
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
2019 Award
Have you done ANY research on this on your own? There is a lot of stuff on the internet.

Yes, from what I see there is only research about astrophysics and cosmology. I was just wondering if it has any significance for fundemental physics and the standard model.

Chronos
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Considering that cosmology and particle physics have become increasingly interlinked over the past few decades, how much more fundamental can you get? As noted in this article - http://ctcp.caltech.edu/fundamental.php - by the Moore Center of the California Instute of Technology "This focus area seeks to connect the fundamental laws of physics to the origin, evolution, and constituents of the universe."

Thank you for your response and for sharing this link! Forgive me for my silly question, I have just started learning about this subject. But I think I have a better idea about it now. I will be reading more about the connection of particle physics and cosmology. Very interesting.

Vanadium 50
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
2019 Award
JWST has greatly damaged the research program in fundamental physics. It's obscene cost overruns (the current estimate a factor of 17 more than originally proposed!) have caused a dozen other missions to be canceled, including LISA, which would have searched for gravitational waves.

Likes Amrator, mfb and atyy