Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

James Webb space telescope and fundamental physics

1. Dec 30, 2015 #1
    Does JWST has any significance in fundamental physics research? What kind of questions would we get answers to?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 30, 2015 #2

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Have you done ANY research on this on your own? There is a lot of stuff on the internet.

4. Dec 30, 2015 #3
    Yes, from what I see there is only research about astrophysics and cosmology. I was just wondering if it has any significance for fundemental physics and the standard model.

5. Dec 30, 2015 #4

Chronos

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Considering that cosmology and particle physics have become increasingly interlinked over the past few decades, how much more fundamental can you get? As noted in this article - http://ctcp.caltech.edu/fundamental.php - by the Moore Center of the California Instute of Technology "This focus area seeks to connect the fundamental laws of physics to the origin, evolution, and constituents of the universe."

6. Dec 30, 2015 #5
    Thank you for your response and for sharing this link! Forgive me for my silly question, I have just started learning about this subject. But I think I have a better idea about it now. I will be reading more about the connection of particle physics and cosmology. Very interesting.

7. Dec 30, 2015 #6

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

JWST has greatly damaged the research program in fundamental physics. It's obscene cost overruns (the current estimate a factor of 17 more than originally proposed!) have caused a dozen other missions to be canceled, including LISA, which would have searched for gravitational waves.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook