Japanese Earthquake - was it really that devastating?

• Thread starter Simfish
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Earthquake
In summary: The Japanese may react like anyone else would, that is incorrectly when exposed to an earthquake, but their engineering is still the best in the world for an earthquake. Most of the damage and deaths from the quake are from the tsunamis generated by the quake. Engineering to prevent tsunami damage still needs a lot of work, but there structures held up admirably.The Japanese may react like anyone else would, that is incorrectly when exposed to an earthquake, but their engineering is still the best in the world for an earthquake. Most of the damage and deaths from the quake are from the tsunamis generated by the quake. Engineering to prevent tsunami damage still needs a lot of work, but there structures held up
nismaratwork said:
It would have to be removed, cleaned, drained and scrubbed first, then replaced. Knowing the Japanese I'd suspect something made from a ship, not a whole ship itself. One is a reminder, the latter is a momument.

Bah! Clean-em up and make restaurants out of them.

article-1366670-0B2D7C2600000578-910_964x526.jpg

Might as well make the reminders practical.

Earth sciences news on Phys.org
*jaw drops*

Wow a boat on a building; there's something you don't see everyday.

OmCheeto said:
Bah! Clean-em up and make restaurants out of them.

article-1366670-0B2D7C2600000578-910_964x526.jpg

Might as well make the reminders practical.

That is rather the arresting image, but something tells me it's a practical engineering issue, and probably a bit too visceral. You want a memorial to be that, but not to trigger flashbacks in every other person passing by...

joelupchurch said:
When I click through to the underlying data, I seem to get something close to .6g for the Max Acc (%g) at the reactor.
NEI Nuclear Notes is saying:
The March 11 earthquake was stronger than the Daiichi plant was designed to withstand, the Japan Atomic Industrial Forum reported. Maximum ground acceleration near reactor 3 was 507 centimeters per second squared - more than the plant's design reference values of 449.

http://neinuclearnotes.blogspot.com/2011/03/evening-report_20.html"

That works out to .51g

Last edited by a moderator:
The World Health Organization has recently released "Japan earthquake and tsunami
Situation Report No. 33 - 11 May 2011" that I thought would be valuable for those who
are interested. The pdf has 59 pages of information.

http://www.wpro.who.int/NR/rdonlyres/B614B476-46F1-4094-846D-F5B9D5BD0FB7/0/Sitrep3311May.pdf

It is heart wrenching. The devastation is over whelming. It takes my breath away.
I can only hope for a better life in the future for the people in Japan that were
affected by this disaster.

Last edited by a moderator: