Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Jensen inequality, unexplained distribution, very confusing problem

1. Jan 29, 2012 #1
    Hi everyone
    I don't know if I can find someone here to help me understand this issue, but I'll try

the jensen inequality can be found here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jensen%27s_inequality

I have the following discrete random variable [itex]X[/itex] with the following pmf:

x 0 1 2 3
    pr(x) 0.110521 0.359341 0.389447 0.140691

and the summation is (1).

defining the function [itex]Y=\frac{1}{X}[/itex]

Then finding the [itex]\bar{X}=\sum_{i=0}^{3}{iPr(i)=1.560308}[/itex]

Now calculating [itex]E[Y]=E[\frac{1}{X}]=\sum_{i=1}^{3}{\frac{1}{i}Pr(i)}=0.6009615[/itex]
    then:
    [itex]Y(\bar{X})=\frac{1}{\bar{X}}=\frac{1}{1.560308}=0.640899105[/itex]

According to Jensen inequality what should happen:

[itex]E[\frac{1}{X}] \geq \frac{1}{E[X]}[/itex]
    but what I got is the opposite case!!!!!!!!:cry:

Now also I have to mention the function [itex]Y=\frac{1}{X}[/itex] is convex given that the second derivative is strictly larger than zero.

Do I misunderstand the Jensen inequality? or is there something wrong with the convixity assumption?
    Any idea?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 30, 2012 #2
    Without having looked at the details of your calculations, you certaintly have a problem with Y = 1/X for X=0

4. Jan 30, 2012 #3
    Yes you are right to assume it but in the calculation I assumed X>0 when calculating Y.
    Even with this assumption I can't approve the opposite inequality.
    This can be thought like: choosing one message from X messages problem.

Thanks for reply

5. Jan 30, 2012 #4
    Well, you cannot simply "remove" X=0 by setting 1/0=0. Then your function is not convex any more, and this is the source of your problem.

6. Jan 30, 2012 #5
    thanks winterfors
    But why it's not convex
    is there a way to prove that it's concave?
    Maybe you mean it's non differentiable at X=0

thanks for reply

7. Jan 30, 2012 #6
    I suggest you look up the definition of a convex/concave function. A function does not have to be differentiable to be convex, for instance is f(x)=abs(x) convex even though is it not differentiable at x=0. Also, that a function is not convex does not imply it is concave, or vice versa.

8. Jan 30, 2012 #7
    I know dear
    that's why I asked about why setting Y=0 when X=0 caused the problem
    You said the function is not convex any more, here I didn't get it, does it mean now it's concave?
    the second derivative is positive since X>0
    Anyway thanks for reply I'll do more research on that

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook