Jet landing speed calculation: getting 333 km/hr instead of 666 km/hr

  • Thread starter Thread starter pkossak
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Calculation
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 8K views
pkossak
Messages
52
Reaction score
0
I feel like I'm losing my mind asking such an easy question, but for some reason I can't think of why the answer is double of what I'm calculating every time for this question.

After landing, a jet airplane comes to rest uniformly
(the acceleration is constant) in 11.5 seconds. The aircraft
rolls 1063.75 m. What was the landing speed? (in km/hr)

I keep getting 333 km/hr, but the answer is listed as 666 km/hr.
thanks
 
Physics news on Phys.org
What equation are you using? You should be able to derive the equation that relates initial velocity, final velocity, time elapsed, and displacement. From this equation, you should be able to find the initial velocity.
 
And I don't know of an equation I can use for all that without having to use acceleration.

for the Vav = .5(v +vo), I don't see how I could I plug in 333 and come out with 666, as 333 would be v, and 0 would be vo.

I can't use x = xo + vo*t + .5*a*t^2 because I don't know acceleration

why am i having all this trouble
 
Consider that the acceleration, or deceleration as the case may be, is uniform. This gives the total distance traveled as a function of acceleration and time. Hint: [itex]\ddot{x} = -a[/itex].

Then how about [itex]v_f^2 = v_i^2 + 2 a x[/itex] make sure you get the magnitude of a correct.
 
If this is a college level course, you should be able to derive the right equation.

[tex]\Delta d = \int _{0} ^{T} v(t)\, dt[/tex]

[tex]\Delta d = \int _{0} ^{T} v_i + at\, dt[/tex]

[tex]\Delta d = v_iT + 0.5aT^2[/tex]

[tex]\Delta d = v_iT + 0.5(v_f - v_i)T[/tex]

[tex]\frac{\Delta d}{T} = \frac{v_f + v_i}{2}[/tex]

This says that the average velocity starting from time 0 to any time T is just the average of the final and initial velocities (given constant acceleration). If this is a high school course, then you should be given this (and the other 4) kinematics equations.