Career Advice needed for desperate Phd student in experimental physics

In summary: I think it would be best if you looked into some introductory programming courses before you dive too deep into any specific language/package.
savannas9
Hello all,
I am a new member here and am currently doing my PhD in nanoscience related area. My husband is a successful phd and currently in academia. I joined phd right after my masters, and hence have no industry experience. However, I am keen to enter industry after I graduate. I want some help in reviewing my current profile and would appreciate advice/suggestions on how I can improve it. Those of you are in industry please give me your inputs , and if you have a PhD or hire/ interact/ with physics PhDs, your viewpoint would be very helpful

One thing I'd like to mention : I had my baby last year - meant 4 months of not being productive academically + we had to rush for a family health emergency and be out of country for 2 months -- all of which contributed to some heavy slack in my work. Unfortunately its reflecting as personal ineffeciency in my profile right now,( although I am back with twice the fortitude and willingness to make things happen.. and am determined to make it up in everyway I can)

1. Publications - still working towards my 1st paper.. Is this okay?
So, even though this is my 4th year, I am still working on my first journal article. Very soon, my supervisor will put me on a different project whose publishing prospects I can't predict right now.. So, considering the worst case scenario -- Is it better to graduate quickly with 1 publication or instead work harder (extend visa, add a semester/year ) and publish a couple more ?

2. How can I make myself more 'employable' ?
I honestly feel this is my only area of strength -- I have hands on experience in a decent number of experiment/research tools.. ( AFM, SEM, FIB, Etching, deposition and lithography tools in a Nanofab/cleanroom enviroment, nanomaterial synthesis (nanotube and graphene growth)

3. Will an internship help ? If so, what kind of companies should I look for ?

I am guessing semiconductor and pharmacetuical..but you can probably enlighten/disillusion me better?

4. Programming/Software skills

Barring the C programming course I took back in my undergrad, I don't know any other programming. I always wanted to learn labview, but I don't know how to get started. Does this matter ? and if so, can you suggest what language/package I should get familiar with. I don't mind doing a undergrad course in the area, since we can do that as PhDs, but I'd like to know what would be useful, befor I venture into one. Maybe MATLAB ??

Although I have loved and always love doing physics, currently I feel like a total loser for having typed this pathetic post - but ahead, I will look and see how I can make things work ..

Thanks a lot,
Savvy

Physics news on Phys.org
advice needed please

I am bumping this one - Guys, don't tell me you have no suggestions..
451 views and ..?

Thanks
Savvy

savannas9 said:
2. How can I make myself more 'employable' ?
I honestly feel this is my only area of strength -- I have hands on experience in a decent number of experiment/research tools.. ( AFM, SEM, FIB, Etching, deposition and lithography tools in a Nanofab/cleanroom enviroment, nanomaterial synthesis (nanotube and graphene growth)

I really don't much about experimental physics but aren't those skills worth something to someone? What has the previous students done with those skills? Does your adviser have any industry contacts?

3. Will an internship help ? If so, what kind of companies should I look for ?

I am guessing semiconductor and pharmacetuical..but you can probably enlighten/disillusion me better?

It really worries me that you need to ask an internet forum for which companies are in your area of study... I mean there's always Google to get some idea.. Again, your adviser?? Fellow students?? How are you in the dark about this??

4. Programming/Software skills

Barring the C programming course I took back in my undergrad, I don't know any other programming. I always wanted to learn labview, but I don't know how to get started. Does this matter ? and if so, can you suggest what language/package I should get familiar with. I don't mind doing a undergrad course in the area, since we can do that as PhDs, but I'd like to know what would be useful, befor I venture into one. Maybe MATLAB ??

MATLAB is a very good skill to have, C++ is also a good one. I've used Labview before but not extensively. Just a quick search on Indeed.com yielded ~2000 jobs for Labview, ~6000 jobs for C++, and ~40,000 jobs for C++. Granted, C++ starts crossing the lines into developers and strictly CS type jobs. But.. if you're goal is have a marketable skill then C++ is the way to go. When I was in computational physics, we mostly used Matlab and C++ along with some other application specific software.

I'm a little over 2 years into my PhD and I still haven't picked my area of research. For the ones I'm interested in I've been researching like crazy the industry opportunities associated with the areas. I've gotten a ton of information from advisers, current students and Google. I've even gone on LinkedIn and contacted people of the companies that are related to the fields. I've asked them about the company, flexibility in their field, etc.

Once I actually pick my research area I plan on contacting companies and seeing if they want to collaborate with me. Depending on how far along you are with your PhD this would be wise, in my opinion. But most grad students don't bother with this stuff, they usually let their advisers deal with actually talking to people outside of their departments. Bump that. I'm going to go get what I want and I would suggest you do the same. With the internet you can (or attempt to) contact anyone you want.

Sounds like you will be more or less tied to the location of your husband's academic position. If that is true, then look at the industries in that area, and inquire what their needs might be. They may not have any needs that relate to your specific research background, but the whole purpose of the PhD is to teach you how to approach any new topic and get into it. So you should be able to research areas other than what you have done your doctoral work in.

As to the matter of publications, that is somewhat hard to say. Some industries that are fairly research driven will take note of publications will be put off by lack of them. Others, that are much more results oriented, could care less about publications. Look at your market, and go ahead and make an early approach to those you judge to be less research driven.

Search the university website for courses that use LabView and C++, and then talk to the instructors. Preferably one would find a course related to one's research area or field.

Regarding " . . . , but I don't know how to get started," prospective employers want folks who solve problems. One needs to learn how to get started, and how to overcome new challenges.

Someone suggested to me that people in experimental condensed matter should sell themselves as physical chemistry or materials science majors that know enough EM to get instruments to work, since physical chemistry and materials science share similar core coursework, research goals and many experimental techniques with condensed matter physics.

That would suggest computer hardware, memory devices, optics and displays, medical instrumentation and pharmaceuticals as good places to look for jobs. Traditional materials science areas like steel, coal and structural plastics, probably not so good.

1. What should I do if I am struggling to find a job after completing my PhD in experimental physics?

Firstly, it is important to remember that finding a job in the field of experimental physics can be challenging, but it is not impossible. Start by networking with other professionals in the field, attending job fairs, and reaching out to potential employers. Additionally, consider expanding your job search to include related fields or industries, as your skills and knowledge may be applicable in other areas.

2. How can I make my resume stand out to potential employers?

It is crucial to tailor your resume to each job you apply for, highlighting your relevant experience and skills. Additionally, showcase any publications, conference presentations, or awards you have received during your PhD studies. Consider reaching out to a career counselor or mentor for feedback on your resume.

3. What are some alternative career options for a PhD in experimental physics?

Besides traditional academic or research positions, there are many alternative career paths for individuals with a PhD in experimental physics. Some options include working in industry, government agencies, consulting, science communication, or entrepreneurship. It may be helpful to explore these options through informational interviews or internships.

4. How can I balance my academic work with job searching?

Job searching can be time-consuming, but it is important to still prioritize your academic work. Set aside specific times for job searching and networking, and make sure to communicate with your advisor or department about your job search plans. It may also be helpful to delegate some responsibilities to others, such as lab assistants or colleagues, to manage your workload.

5. Can I negotiate my salary and benefits as a PhD in experimental physics?

Yes, you can negotiate your salary and benefits as a PhD in experimental physics, just like any other job candidate. Do your research on industry standards for salaries and benefits in your field, and be prepared to make a case for your worth and value to the company. It is also important to be flexible and willing to negotiate, as the hiring process can involve compromise from both sides.