Jobs for physics and math graduates interested in finance

  • Topic: Math 
  • Thread starter Thread starter martizzle
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Grad Jobs
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 5K views
martizzle
Messages
10
Reaction score
0
I just grad with a BS in phy&math...but I'm having difficulty finding a job...I would prefer to get into finance/accounting (I want to go to grad skool nxt yr/ltr for a PhD in Statistics/a Masters in Computational Finance/Financial Math), but at this point, I just want a job...
Ps.
I'm in Philadelphia, PA (if that helps :)
 
Physics news on Phys.org
If you're asking why jobs you can get after you all ready have a degree you're in some trouble. No job hunting before you graduated?
 
long story... d yr-long job I was supposed to have @ Oak Ridge Nat lab got cancelled...so my plan on working till nxt fall, when I hoped to begin a phd prog, is kinda shaky
@ least d job part is...bt yeah, i did job hunt b4 grad, n I'm doing a summer internship now, but I've diff finding something 4 after...
 
If you have any facility in statistics there are almost always industrial jobs involving stats. This can be fairly terrible work, basically a grind, but it can pay very well. If you are planning on moving on later, perhaps this is just the ticket.

However, given the recent implosion of the financial sector, I imagine physicists in finance (quants) are probably not the most sought after at the moment.