Finding entry level jobs in physics in Europe, how to get started?

In summary: Depending on what type of physics you are interested in, you might have to look for a lab that specializes in that area.
kardalam
Heya:)

I'm now 25 years old and working in a corporate job in London for almost a year after graduating with master in Electronic Engineering. However, what I want to do, what I always wanted to do is work in physics, specifically particle, quantum physics.

Over the years tho, for different reason I drifted away from it and now I realize the job I have is a great now, just it's not for me, I'm not happy with it. Hence, I want to give it a try and search for any entry level position in Europe in which I can do something related to physics, I feel if I don't try and make the move now, I never will.

It is however quite daunting and I have no idea where to start. I have pretty good understanding of fundamental physics principals since I did a lot on my own during university, and really put my all into learning something new when I am really interested in it, and I am quite adaptive as well. My dream would be Cern but I can't apply for their junior positions since I'm not from a Cern Associate Member country.

I'm originally from Macedonia, lived in UK for 6 years and in US for 1 year but I only have Macedonian passport. My degree however is from UK as well as all my work experience, so not sure if that helps. But anyways, I am open to any other place as long as it's in Europe.

Do you have any suggestions on where to get started looking? Is it realistic looking for this kind of positions without PhD or previous physics work experience? Which labs/research centers/universities would be most likely to accept entry level applicants? Long story short, am I mad trying to do this now and even if yes, how do I get started looking for something?

All help is hugely, greatly appreciated.
Marija

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
kardalam said:
Is it realistic looking for this kind of positions without PhD or previous physics work experience?

No.

You might be able to get a job as an engineer supporting these experiments.

Likes JD_PM
What type of EE do you do?
Many areas of experimental physics involve a fair amount of EE and in some bigger projects this does mean that research groups end up hiring EEs to work on specific problems.

There is currently a lot of money for quantum technology in the UK and much of it is focused on applications. This means that even some academic groups are how hiring engineers to help transition from lab-type experiments to real-world applications. There are also a number of start-ups and SMEs that are hiring.

FPGA programming and/microwave engineering would be good skills to have.

Another option would be to do a PhD. There are at least a couple of quantum engineering CDTs that are accepting engineers.

1. How do I find entry level jobs in physics in Europe?

To find entry level jobs in physics in Europe, you can start by checking job search websites such as Indeed, Glassdoor, and LinkedIn. You can also browse through the career pages of universities, research institutes, and government agencies in Europe. Networking and attending job fairs or conferences can also be helpful in finding opportunities.

2. What qualifications do I need to have for entry level jobs in physics in Europe?

Most entry level jobs in physics in Europe require at least a bachelor's degree in physics or a related field. Some positions may also require a master's degree or a PhD. Additionally, having research experience and proficiency in relevant programming languages and software can make you a more competitive candidate.

3. Do I need to be fluent in a particular language to work in physics in Europe?

It depends on the specific job and location. Some positions may require fluency in the local language, while others may only require proficiency in English. It is important to carefully read the job description and requirements before applying.

4. How can I gain practical experience for entry level jobs in physics in Europe?

You can gain practical experience by participating in research projects, internships, or co-op programs during your education. You can also volunteer at research labs or join physics-related clubs and organizations to gain hands-on experience. Additionally, some entry level jobs may offer on-the-job training.

5. What advice do you have for someone starting their career in physics in Europe?

My advice would be to network and build connections with professionals in the field, stay updated on current research and advancements in the industry, and continuously develop your skills and knowledge through learning opportunities such as workshops and conferences. It is also important to be open to different job opportunities and be willing to relocate for the right opportunity.