Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Joint Distribution of Changing Mean

1. Sep 29, 2006 #1
    Let X be a random variable with mean [tex]\mu[/tex] and standard deviation 1.

Let's add a twist.

Suppose [tex]\mu[/tex] is randomly distributed about 0 with standard deviation 1.

At each iteration, we select a new [tex]\mu[/tex] according to its distributuion. This mean is then used in the distribution for X. Then we pick an X according to its distribution.

My question: What is the resulting joint distribution? Given this joint distribution, I should be able to calculate the mean and standard deviation. Clearly, the mean X will be 0, but what will be the standard deviation of X? It seems that it should, at a minimum, be greater than 1.

Thanks!

Last edited: Sep 29, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 29, 2006 #2

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

let m=mean

E(X2|E(X)=m)=1+m2

E(m2)=1, since std dev(m)=1 and mean=0

Therefore E(X2)=2 or

std. dev.(X)=sqrt(2)

4. Sep 29, 2006 #3
    Could you elaborate a bit more? I can confirm that the std deviation is indeed sqrt(2), however, I don't understand where the following formula comes from:

E(X^2 | E(x) = m) = 1 + E(m^2)

From the definition,

[tex]\sigma_x^2 = E(x^2) - E(x)^2 = E(x^2) - m^2[/tex]

Presumably, I stick your formula into the formula I just wrote above...but I'm still confused where your formula comes from. Also, m (in my original post [tex]\mu[/tex]) is not the same...it is determined by a normal distribution.

5. Sep 29, 2006 #4

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think the easiest way to do this is to simplify the description -- X is the sum of two normal distributions. (admittedly, it's good to be able to do it different ways, though)

6. Sep 29, 2006 #5
    Interesting, I had wondered if that was okay to do...as the variance of X would then be the sum of the variances of the two normal distributions...and this is, in fact, sqrt(2). Could you explain how these are equivalent pictures?

In general, I would like to consider a set of distributions

[tex]\mu_1 \sigma_1[/tex]

[tex]\mu_2 \sigma_2[/tex]

[tex]\mu_3 \sigma_3[/tex]

where the [tex]\mu_i[/tex] are distributed normally with mean [tex]\mu[/tex] and std deviation [tex]\Delta \mu[/tex]

where the [tex]\sigma_i[/tex] are distributed normally with mean [tex]\sigma[/tex] and std deviation [tex]\Delta \sigma[/tex]

For each distribution, we pick x once. What is the expected value of x and what is the standard deviation?

Last edited: Sep 29, 2006
  7. Sep 30, 2006 #6

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

X is a normal distribution centered about u.

X - u is a normal distribution centered about 0.

X - u is, presumably independent from u. (You never actually specified in your problem that the only dependence of X on u is that u is the mean of the distribution on X, but I assume it was meant)

X = (X - u) + u

8. Sep 30, 2006 #7

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

note: (You wrote: E(X^2 | E(x) = m) = 1 + E(m^2). If you look carefully at what I wrote I had m^2 on the right in that line and then took average over m on both sides to get E(X^2).)

In your expression for sig2(x), you implicitly defined it for a specific value of m. In the expression I wrote, I just made it explicit and rearranged terms, while using the fact that the variance of x is 1.

All I assumed about m is that it was random with first and second moments 0 and 1; normal distribution is unnecessary.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?