Joris van Hoboken's thesis on Platonic solids,Kleinian singularities and ADE

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter John Baez
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Singularities Thesis
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
7 replies · 4K views
John Baez
In "week182", back in 2002, I referred to this very nice thesis:

Joris van Hoboken, Platonic solids, binary polyhedral groups, Kleinian
singularities and Lie algebras of type A,D,E, Master's Thesis, University of
Amsterdam, 2002, available at
http://www.science.uva.nl/research/math/Onderwijs/examen/2002/scriptiejoris.ps

Now I'm studying this stuff again. There are cool relations to ALE
spaces and string theory, and lots more.

Alas, I didn't keep a copy! It seems to be gone. James Dolan and
I can't find it using Google or the "wayback" web archive. I can't
locate van Hoboken, either.

Does anyone have a copy, please?

This is another reason people should put their theses on the arXiv!
Universities should also keep electronic copies of theses in some
publicly available electronic form.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello John Baez
Is this the paper you're looking for?
http://home.student.uva.nl/joris.vanhoboken/scriptiejoris.ps

If you cannot download it, I've got a copy!
 
Last edited by a moderator:


John Baez wrote:
> In "week182", back in 2002, I referred to this very nice thesis:
>
> Joris van Hoboken, Platonic solids, binary polyhedral groups, Kleinian
> singularities and Lie algebras of type A,D,E, Master's Thesis, University of
> Does anyone have a copy, please?[/color]

Try this link
http://home.student.uva.nl/joris.vanhoboken/scriptiejoris.ps
 
Last edited by a moderator:


In article <e1jcu4$6cu$1@glue.ucr.edu>,
John Baez <baez@math-cl-n03.math.ucr.edu> wrote:

> Joris van Hoboken, Platonic solids, binary polyhedral groups, Kleinian
> singularities and Lie algebras of type A,D,E, Master's Thesis, University of
> Amsterdam, 2002.[/color]

>Does anyone have a copy, please?[/color]

Got it! Excellent! Sam Wormley gave me a copy, and I'll make it
available here:

http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/joris_van_hoboken_platonic.pdf

It's a nice description of some incredibly cool stuff. Check it out!
 


Its on the same set of servers, just moved around a bit.

Google scholar lists 4 different versions. The second gets you there.

http://scholar.google.com/url?sa=U&q=http://home.student.uva.nl/joris.vanhoboken/scriptiejoris.ps

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
galathaea: prankster, fablist, magician, liar
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Joris van Hoboken's thesis in mathematics

I got hinted by my former professor Koornwinder of the University of Amsterdam that my thesis (Platonic Solids, Binary Polyhedral Groups, Kleinian Sigularities and Lie Algebras of Type A,D,E) is a little hard to find. I started a blog several moths ago and made a post there, so it will be easy to find:

http://www.jorisvanhoboken.nl/?p=10

The file is here:
http://www.jorisvanhoboken.nl/wp-content/uploads/2007/03/platonic-solids-binary-polyhedral-groups-kleinian-singularities-and-lie-algebras-of-type-ade.pdf

By the way, I became a legal researcher, in the field of Internet Law and Freedom of Expression, so I'm not working on this wonderful stuff anymore.
 
Last edited by a moderator: