Joules and Kinetic Energy [units wise]

In summary, Joules is the unit for measuring energy and is named after James Prescott Joule, a British physicist. It is directly related to kinetic energy, as one Joule is equal to one kilogram-meter squared per second squared (kg*m^2/s^2). Joules can be converted to other units of energy, such as calories, BTUs, or kilowatt-hours. The relationship between Joules and force is shown through the equation W = F*d, where W represents work (measured in Joules), F represents force (measured in Newtons), and d represents distance (measured in meters). Joules and potential energy are related as potential energy can also be measured in Joules and can be converted
thomas49th
K.E is in joules

joules = 1Nm

Nm = m/s² . m
= m²/s²

therefore

k.e = 0.5mv²

m²/s² = kg . m²/s²

there is an extra kg. I don't see how

there is the same problem with GPe
GPE = m gh
m²/s² = kg . m²/s²

How can that be. The units of 0.5kgv² need to equal Nm

Physics news on Phys.org
N = kg m s-2 ( from f=ma )

Energy = Nm = kg m2 s-2

i was just on my way to delete this post when i realized whay a stupid mistake i'd made.
F = ma
N = kg . m/s²
:blushing:
cheers :)

1. What is the unit for measuring Joules?

The unit for measuring Joules is the same as the unit for measuring energy, which is Joules (J). This unit was named after the British physicist James Prescott Joule.

2. How is Joules related to kinetic energy?

Joules and kinetic energy are directly related, as Joules is the unit for measuring energy and kinetic energy is a type of energy. In fact, one Joule is equal to one kilogram-meter squared per second squared (kg*m^2/s^2), which is the unit for measuring kinetic energy.

3. Can Joules be converted to other units of energy?

Yes, Joules can be converted to other units of energy such as calories, BTUs, or kilowatt-hours. The conversion rate will depend on the specific unit of energy you are converting to. For example, one Joule is equal to 0.239005736 calories.

4. What is the relationship between Joules and force?

Joules and force are related by the equation W = F*d, where W represents work (measured in Joules), F represents force (measured in Newtons), and d represents distance (measured in meters). This equation shows that Joules and force are related through the concept of work, which is defined as the application of force over a distance.

5. How are Joules and potential energy related?

Joules and potential energy are related in the sense that potential energy is another type of energy that can be measured in Joules. Potential energy is the energy an object possesses due to its position or configuration, and it can be converted into other forms of energy such as kinetic energy, which is measured in Joules.