Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Joules converted to amp hours

1. Aug 28, 2009 #1
    I just met a fellow who works in directional drilling. He has a problem when his dry cell lithium ion batteries die. It costs him $300,000 when it happens. What he needs to know is when to pull the batteries BEFORE this happens. These Double D cell batteries when connected, hold their 36 volts until the 3.2MJ are used up, then he gets an estimated .2 millivolt instantly.
    I told him I knew a site that could tell us that for him.

SO...here is the question. He starts out with 3.2 MJ...the motor requires 1300 J/H to idle...pulses from his equipment cost 1282J every 6 seconds. How many amp hours does he have before it costs him? When should he pull the batteries for replacement or charge?

Is there a formula for this we can give him?

My personal interpretation of this equation is to mutiply the J/6 sec into hours and add to the hourly cost. Then divide into the 3.2 MJ for a time allowance. That was not his question though. Any takers?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 28, 2009 #2

Danger

Gold Member

Welcome to PF, Djkwolf.
    I'm afraid that I can't help with your solution, but there are others here who can. I don't know what time zone you're in. It's coming up on 2:30 am here, and most respondents are in North America, so it might be a while before someone else gets back to you.
    Now, I'm going to bed.

4. Aug 28, 2009 #3
    Thanks Danger!
    I AM in Alberta, and it WAS after 2am that I posted.

5. Aug 28, 2009 #4

I'll take a stab at it, but I'm no electrical engineer. It appears to be all unit cancellation.

So first, covert all of your units so they're the same. So:
    3.2 MJ = 3,200,000J
    1282J/6s = 769,200J/h

Then you solution should be J/(J/h) = h
    So your estimated run time should be:
    3,200,000J / (1300J/h + 769,200J/h) = 4.15h = 4h 9m 11s

I hope this helps.

6. Aug 28, 2009 #5
    Perhaps he should invest in a totalising power meter.

7. Aug 28, 2009 #6
    since you are saying 'pulses', it would be prudent to have a safety margin ... what exactly do you mean by pulses per six seconds. is it a discharge or flash of some kind ?

8. Aug 31, 2009 #7
    Pulse was his word. His equipment reads every six seconds using battery power, and sends that data costing battery power.

9. Aug 31, 2009 #8

vk6kro

Science Advisor

He must know what his average usage time is.

If he replaces the batteries every 2 weeks, why not change them every 10 days regardless of condition? Set up a schedule and have someone assigned to do it.

Considering the consequences of getting it wrong, wasting a few dollars on batteries that still have a bit of life in them is trivial.

10. Aug 31, 2009 #9

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Indeed, I'd approach this problem empirically and use some statistics to put a TPM programme in place.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook