1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Jumping Flea - Simple Kinematics

1. Sep 22, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A flea jumps straight up to a maximum height of 0.53 m. What is its initial velocity as it leaves the ground?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Okay, I have three kinematic equations for constant acceleration I can use. All of them require the knowledge of some time interval, except for one, so I shall use that one since I'm not given any time info in this question.

The equation says: [tex] {v_f}^2 = {v_i}^2 + 2a_s(s_f - s_i) [/tex]. Obviously f denotes final and i denotes initial.

I know that my final velocity will have to be 0 since if the flea jumps to a maximum height of 0.53 m, he will start coming down after that. I also know that [tex] a_s = -9.8 [/tex]. Also, [tex] s_i = 0 [/tex] and [tex] s_f = 0.53 [/tex].

Thus I have [tex] 0 = {v_i}^2 - 2(9.8)(0.53) \Leftrightarrow \sqrt[]{2(9.8)(0.53)} = v_i [/tex] and I will take the positive root to be my v_i.

Is this correct?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 22, 2009 #2

rl.bhat

Homework Helper

Yes. It is correct.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook