Just a question regarding Q.M text by griffith.

In summary, the conversation is discussing the effectiveness of using Griffiths as the main text for a graduate Quantum Mechanics course. The speaker is wondering if studying material from another text would be beneficial and mentions that they found Griffiths to be lacking in important discussions. They also recommend supplementing with a book like Shankar. The conversation ends with a thank you for the reply and confirmation that the speaker is currently in graduate school.
haplo
Wondering if your professor using this as main text, how good will it prepare you for Graduate Q.M course. Would you recommend to simultaneously study material from some other text. I wonder because we are finishing chapter 2 and problems do not seem that challenging, just bunch of integral evaluation and some derivations.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I used it for my undergrad Quantum course. It's a terrible book.

are you in grad school now?

haplo said:
are you in grad school now?
Yes.

I highly recommend picking up something like Shankar to supplement Griffiths. Griffiths' book is, at best, watered down, and at worst, completely lacking important discussions.

thats the impression i am having, while comparing it to Q.M by Robinett.

thanks for reply

1. What is Q.M text by Griffith?

Q.M text by Griffith refers to the textbook "Introduction to Quantum Mechanics" written by David J. Griffiths. It is a popular introductory textbook for studying quantum mechanics, which is a branch of physics that deals with the behavior of matter and energy at a very small scale.

2. Is this textbook suitable for beginners?

Yes, this textbook is suitable for beginners as it provides a clear and concise introduction to the concepts of quantum mechanics. It assumes a basic understanding of calculus and linear algebra, but no prior knowledge of quantum mechanics is required.

3. What topics are covered in the Q.M text by Griffith?

The textbook covers a wide range of topics in quantum mechanics, including wave-particle duality, the Schrödinger equation, quantum measurement, and the principles of quantum physics. It also includes discussions on the applications of quantum mechanics in various fields such as condensed matter physics, nuclear physics, and particle physics.

4. Are there any resources to supplement the Q.M text by Griffith?

Yes, there are various resources available to supplement the Q.M text by Griffith, such as solution manuals, lecture notes, and online tutorials. Additionally, the author also provides a list of recommended readings for further understanding of the subject.

5. How can I use the Q.M text by Griffith effectively for self-study?

To effectively use the Q.M text by Griffith for self-study, it is recommended to read the text in a sequential manner, starting from the first chapter. It is also important to work through the examples and exercises provided in the textbook to fully understand the concepts. Additionally, seeking help from online resources or joining a study group can also aid in understanding the material.