Just a question regarding limits

• Thread starter truewt
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limits
In summary, a limit of a function can equal infinity if the function approaches positive infinity as the input approaches a certain value. This is defined as follows: \lim_{x\to a}f\left(x\right) = +\infty \mbox{ if and only if for any } \epsilon > 0, \mbox{ there exists a } \delta > 0 \mbox{ such that if } \left|x - a\right| < \delta, \mbox{ then } f(x) > \epsilon .This condition is necessary to define limits as it helps determine when a function does not have a limit and allows for the proof of properties of functions that do
truewt
Can a limit of a function = infinity?

Physics news on Phys.org
I guess you can if you insist, but you will need to be very careful with how you define "infinity"... for there are many types of infinities. However, sensible definition that works in general may be difficult/if not impossible to find.

In general, yes. The definition is as follows:

[tex]\lim_{x\to a}f\left(x\right) = +\infty \mbox{ if and only if for any } \epsilon > 0, \mbox{ there exists a } \delta > 0 \mbox{ such that if } 0 < \left|x - a\right| < \delta, \mbox{ then } f(x) > \epsilon .[/tex]

EDIT:

And if you want the limit as [itex]x[/itex] approaches infinity, we simply modify the [itex]\delta[/itex] condition a little:

[tex]\lim_{x\to \infty}f\left(x\right) = +\infty \mbox{ if and only if for any } \epsilon > 0, \mbox{ there exists a } \delta > 0 \mbox{ such that if } x > \delta, \mbox{ then } f(x) > \epsilon .[/tex]

EDIT2: Added 0 as a lower bound to make things correct... forgot about it, heh.

Last edited:
Moo Of Doom said:
In general, yes. The definition is as follows:

[tex]\lim_{x\to a}f\left(x\right) = +\infty \mbox{ if and only if for any } \epsilon > 0, \mbox{ there exists a } \delta > 0 \mbox{ such that if } \left|x - a\right| < \delta, \mbox{ then } f(x) > \epsilon .[/tex]

EDIT:

And if you want the limit as [itex]x[/itex] approaches infinity, we simply modify the [itex]\delta[/itex] condition a little:

[tex]\lim_{x\to \infty}f\left(x\right) = +\infty \mbox{ if and only if for any } \epsilon > 0, \mbox{ there exists a } \delta > 0 \mbox{ such that if } x > \delta, \mbox{ then } f(x) > \epsilon .[/tex]

why is the condition necessary in defining the limits?

hmmm but i thought i learned that limits should not be =infinity, 'cause that's not defined as infinity isn't a real number..

Infinity is an "extended real number." When talking about limits, it is often useful to be able to note in limit notation when a function blows up at a certain point, and in what direction.

It's necessary in addition to being sufficient simply so you can apply it to prove when a function does not have a limit, and also so you can apply this definition to prove things about functions that have limits.

so the conditions you posted only applies to limits =infinity?

but i can't seem to understand what those conditions mean..

mind explaining it in english?

In English, we say that a function of [itex]x[/itex] approaches positive infinity as [itex]x[/itex] gets closer and closer to a point [itex]a[/itex] if for any number, no matter how large, you can find a positive distance from [itex]a[/itex] such that as long as [itex]x[/itex] is within that distance from [itex]a[/itex] the function is always larger than that number.

Another way to look at it is that if you look at a small interval around [itex]a[/itex], the minimum of the function on that interval (excluding [itex]f\left(a\right)[/itex]) can be made as large as you want by decreasing the length of the interval.

Take for example, the function [itex]f\left(x\right) = 1/x^2[/itex] and look at it near zero. Is there an interval around zero, so that everywhere in the interval except 0, the function is larger than 1? How about larger than 10? 100? Is there a real number for which you cannot find such an interval?

Last edited:
Thanks a lot moo :)

this is merely a confusing matter of the use of language. most books say bluntly in the first section on limits that limits must be finite. then they contrdict themselves later by defining infinite limits.

so yes they can unless the author says he means not in a particular paragraph.

so yes it is possible, but no sometimes people restrict the use of the word limit to exclude reference to this case.

a nbhd of +infinity is an open interval of form (b, +infinity)

so a function has limit +infinity as x approaches a if for every b, there is a nbhd of a on which all values of f are larger than b.

I prefer to think that "[itex]\lim_{x\leftarrow a} f(x)= \infty[/itex]" says that f(x) does not have a limit at a in a specific way.

what the heck does that mean halls? i gave a precise definition. or are you joking?

An amusing thing with analysis is that saying the limit converges to infinity is precisely the same as saying the limit diverges.

I've never heard anyone say the limit converges to infinity in a formal sense though ..

I'm afraid I don't understand what Halls meant either >.< Although I'm sure Halls was just stating the way he likes to the of it when no rigor is required, I doubt he was contesting your definition mathwonk.

I thought that a plain english way of interpreting:

[tex] \lim_{x\to a}f\left(x\right) = +\infty [/tex]

was that the value of f(x) increases without bound as x approaches a. It doesn't actually approach any finite limit, (as ZioX hinted, the limit doesn't actually exist). Using notation that seems to say that the limit "exists" and "is equal to 'infinity'" is just a shorthand way of saying, "the function blows up at a."

Am I right?

(Moo of Doom's precise def'n seems to indicate that I am right...at least the way I am reading it).

EDIT: I think Mathwonk's does too, but I have no idea what nbhd is.

Last edited:

What is a limit?

A limit is a fundamental concept in calculus that describes the behavior of a function as its input approaches a certain value or approaches infinity. It is used to determine the value that a function approaches as it gets closer and closer to a specific input.

Why are limits important?

Limits are important because they allow us to understand the behavior of a function and make predictions about its outputs. They are also used in many real-world applications, such as in physics and engineering, to solve problems and make accurate models.

How do you find the limit of a function?

To find the limit of a function, you first need to identify the value that the input is approaching. Then, you can use algebraic techniques, such as direct substitution or factoring, or graphical methods, such as using a graphing calculator, to find the limit. In some cases, you may need to use more advanced techniques, such as L'Hopital's rule.

What is the difference between a left and right limit?

A left limit, also known as a one-sided limit, is the value that a function approaches as the input approaches a certain value from the left side. A right limit is the value that a function approaches as the input approaches a certain value from the right side. In some cases, the left and right limits may be different, indicating that the overall limit does not exist.

What are the common types of limits?

The most common types of limits are infinite limits, where the output of the function approaches positive or negative infinity, and limits at infinity, where the input approaches positive or negative infinity. Other types of limits include one-sided limits, limits involving trigonometric functions, and limits of composite functions.