Just bought a new dress for my little sister

  • Thread starter Thread starter Drimar
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
7 replies · 3K views
Drimar
Messages
26
Reaction score
0
How to say:
My mother just bought a new dress for my little sister[/color] in your languages ? Please write it in alphabets, don't use Arabian, Thai or Hindi :blushing: I don't know :shy:
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
In my native language, that sentence would be

(1) My mother just bought a new dress for my little sister.

:biggrin: Okay, I think I have enough data on Malagasy, an Austronesian language spoken in Madagascar, to take a stab at it. This should be somewhat intelligible.
Code:
nividy       ny   lobaka  voavoa  ny   anabaviko   kely    ny   reniko
n-i-vidy     ny   lobaka  voavoa  ny   anabavi-ko  kely    ny   reni-ko
PAST-AF-buy  DET  shirt   new     DET  sister-my   little  DET  mother-my

'My mother bought a new shirt for my little sister' (spoken by a female)
I know that anbaviko and reniko have smaller pieces, but I'm not sure what they are exactly, so I'm staying on the safe side and not including my guesses. Are there any native Malagasy speakers here? (Yeah, I won't hold my breath.)
 
Drimar said:
How to say:
My mother just bought a new dress for my little sister[/color] in your languages ?

Mammy and sissy dun gon' dress shoppin'!
 
What no Thai?

|\/|y m07|⎤3r j|_|57 g074 |3\/\/ o|r355 f0r |\/|y 51573r.
 
Whoa, I totally neglected my ho.

Code:
nividy       ny   lobaka  voavoa  [b]ho[/b]   ny   anabaviko   kely    ny   reniko
n-i-vidy     ny   lobaka  voavoa  [b]ho[/b]   ny   anabavi-ko  kely    ny   reni-ko
PAST-AF-buy  DET  shirt   new     [b]for [/b] DET  sister-my   little  DET  mother-my

'My mother bought a new shirt for my little sister' (spoken by a female)
That's better.

Oh, and I'm embarrassed for those of you (who shall remain unnamed so as not to embarrass SpaceTiger and Mk) who don't know your languages from your ciphers from your codes from your dialects from your sociolects... from your basilects from your acrolects from your idiolects from your presidentelects... from your ethnolects from your Alex Trebeks...
 
Last edited:
Drimar said:
My mother just bought a new dress for my little sister.
Aimay othermay ustjay oughtbay a ewnay essdray orfay aimay ittlelay istersay.
 
Drimar said:
How to say:
My mother just bought a new dress for my little sister[/color] in your languages ? Please write it in alphabets, don't use Arabian, Thai or Hindi :blushing: I don't know :shy:

Ons ma heeft juist een nieuw pakske gekocht voor mijn klein zuske.

Aiaiaia, vrouwen, he...

marlon