1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Just got external funding! what now?

1. Feb 7, 2015 #1
    I am waiting to hear back from a few american universities about my application for a phd in theoretical physics. I just got news that I have obtained external funding from my home (European) country, enough to cover the first year (tuition + stipend).

I hope this will positively influence my application. However, what is the best way to make sure the admission committees get this updated info?

I have just sent an email to each university, to the email address I could find that was most closely related to the office of graduate admissions for the physics programme. Should I just hope that that suffices, or should I also try other measures like calling?

Thank you!

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 8, 2015 #2

Quantum Defect

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

If you have had any contact with any of the professors you are interested in working with, you might send them an e-mail, as well, letting them know that you have been offered a fellowship by your home country.

4. Feb 9, 2015 #3
    Thanks for the reply!

Are you sure they would think it is relevant to them if it's only for the first year?

5. Feb 9, 2015 #4

Quantum Defect

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

If there is a chance of renewal, let them know. If there is no chance of renewal, let them know, as well. Be honest.

6. Feb 9, 2015 #5
    That wasn't my question but thanks for the effort (no irony). Just mailed at least one prof. I suppose I should just play the waiting game.

7. Feb 9, 2015 #6

Quantum Defect

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I thought that my answer to your question was implicit in the answer I gave, but in retrospect, I can see how it is not that obvious.

It could be relevant to them, but it depends upon how money is allocated in the Department/School, and it depends upon whether this one-yearof funding can become more years of funding, down the road. For instance, at many schools, graduate students are required to teach (for pay). If you joined the group of Prof. X, he could see that he would need to pay you for one less year than if you came in without funds. Another variable is that if you were successful in receiving funding in a competitive environment in your home country, this might mean that you would be competitive for university-wide graduate scholarships (internal money).

The best-case would be if you could receive multi-year funding from your home country.

So, yes it is relevant. Depending upon the circumstances, it could be more or less relevant. It definitely should be part of the information that the graduate committee has in front of them. If you come to them without cost this year, they may be willing to make an offer. [i.e. Maybe this is a tight year for the department, but they are more confident about next year...] You should try to get this information in front of the graduate admissions committee, and making multiple attempts at this helps to guarantee that they see it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook