1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rankings vs funding (MSc in physics)

1. Dec 14, 2015 #1
    Hello everyone!

I recently graduated with a BSc in physics from a good university in my home country with a very decent GPA. I didn't have a long term plan in mind but I at least wanted to continue with a master's degree so after a little bit of research I applied to 2 universities in Germany; Heidelberg and RWTH Aachen. Long story short Aachen didn't happen and while I got accepted to Heidelberg, I couldn't attend because of one unfortunate thing after another (visa, blocked account issues)

Right now I'm left with a choice of either continuing in the same university I graduated from or reapplying to universities abroad (more than 2 this time in case of unfortunate events)
    Thing is, as we know almost no MSc programs abroad have funding and while I could work part time, that would only cover my living expenses. In the case that I stay at my university, I would have research funding and possibly a part time TA position which would allow me to not only cover my expenses but also save up for the future. Not to mention I get along pretty well with the professor I would be working with.

My plan after getting my MSc degree is to hopefully continue with a PhD in one of the more prestigious universities and I guess my question boils down to this;
    Would getting a MSc degree in a higher ranked university make a big enough impact for my PhD plans that not having funding is worth it in the long run?
    I guess it depends more on the quality of my work/publications during MSc and less on the university but I wanted to hear from others with more experience.

Also, I'm older than an average new graduate at 29 years old. Since I already have had a late start I thought about skipping MSc and doing a PhD straight away but I'm not very confident in my research experience even though my advisor says that I would do just fine. What are your thought on this?

Thanks for reading and any input is appreciated :)

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 15, 2015 #2
    More importantly, do you want to work in that research group? Is the research what you are interested in?

4. Dec 15, 2015 #3
    Honestly, I'm having trouble deciding on what I want. It's just that I am slightly more familiar with their research because of my bachelor thesis, so naturally it feels safer to stay with them than to chase something else.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook