Just got netflix, recommend me some movies

• Thread starter moose
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Movies
In summary, these are some movies that are worth watching. If you haven't seen them, I recommend watching them.
moose
I need to fill my queue with some good movies soooooooo list some movies worth watching, especially ones that are less known.

Physics news on Phys.org
A few interesting movies that I've mentioned lately are
The Man From Earth
Primer
Mohave Phone Booth
Brazil
Solaris
The original and the new version of the Andromeda Strain are both pretty good.

Ivan Seeking said:
The Man From Earth
Primer
Mohave Phone Booth
Brazil
Solaris
If you haven't seen it, the original Andromeda Strain is pretty good.

Solaris is a good movie. Some people love it, some hate it.

I loved Solaris! I think it was AMC that was recently running the original Russian release of the movie.

Another one of my personal favorites is Metropolis. Unfortunately, at Netflix I only see the original 1927 release. Back in the 1980's, the movie was rereleased by Georgio Moroder with previously missing footage and modern rock soundtrack. IMO that is the best version to watch.

IIRC, Metropolis was the first movie to use the idea of a robot.
Primer has won multiple awards at notable film festivals.
If you like a good story, and if you like SciFi with no special effects, do yourself a favor and watch The Man From Earth without reading the synopsis.

Last edited:
What types of movies? One of my favorite comedies is a little known one called "Dark Star".

What I enjoy about Netflix is just picking random movies and adding them to my queue. I just mix them throughout, so I will have one I know I want, and then something random generally showing up about the same time. That way, if the random choice is a bust, I still have something else to watch, and return the random one sooner than later (if I really like a movie, sometimes I'll hold it a bit longer and watch one or two more times before returning it).

Also, since you can now view movies online, I also sometimes do that for things I'm not sure I want to rent. No waiting for mail delivery, and if I don't like it, I just stop watching.

If you start picking out some movies you like, you'll also get more recommendations through Netflix about other related (sort of) movies. Sometimes the relationships are weird, like they all involve being on an ocean, even if they are completely different types of movies, but I suppose that's as useful as asking for recommendations here from all the people with different tastes we have.

moose said:
I need to fill my queue with some good movies soooooooo list some movies worth watching, especially ones that are less known.

You've probably seen or heard of most of these, but if you haven't, I recommend it.

Secretary
Adaptation
Last of the Mohicans
Legends of the Fall
Donnie Darko
Amelie
The Shawshank Redemption
Vanilla Sky
Phantom of the Opera
Chocolat
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
The Big Lebowski
Braveheart
Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon
Blade Runner
The Usual Suspects
Heat
Twelve Monkeys
American Beauty
American History X
LA Confidential
Hotel Rwanda
The Graduate
The Sixth Sense
The Weather Man
Office Space
Gladiator
Forrest Gump
Terminator 2: Judgement Day
Alien
Fight Club
The Matrix
The Game
Cape Fear
American Psycho
Straw Dogs
Taxi Driver
Se7en
War of the Roses
Requiem for a Dream
Serenity
Dune (1984)
Shogun

To watch online I recommend:
Alexander Petrov's "The old Man and the Sea" in living oil

Kin Dza Dza (one of the best sci-fi / comedy / drama ever)
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2251461878127683608&ei=RigsSpHUAof8rgLz-Py3Dg&q=kin+dza+dza [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
Netflix is terrific. First thing to do: choose the "Netflix top 100" menu from the "Browse DVDs" tab. Whenever you see a movie you have seen, rate it as 1 to 5 stars. Where you see the red rating stars, click on the appropriate star to record your rating of that movie. Do this whenever you see a movie you've seen; it doesn't matter what window you are in, when you click a red "star-rating" with your own rating, it gets recorded as your rating of that movie.

Then your ratings get put through the most amazing alrorythm, and you will get suggestions under the "movies you'll *heart*" that will be very likely to be one's you'll like. We've got around 500 movies rated, and the suggestions for us are about 85% great.

And install the software to take advantage of the "watch instantly" options.

Ivan Seeking said:
The Man From Earth
Primer
Mohave Phone Booth
Brazil
Solaris
The original and the new version of the Andromeda Strain are both pretty good.

I'll get The Man From Earth, Mohave Phone Booth, and Brazil.

I watched Primer last year and I thought it was really really well done for the minuscule budget.

Ivan Seeking said:
If you like a good story, and if you like SciFi with no special effects, do yourself a favor and watch The Man From Earth without reading the synopsis.
Will do.

junglebeast said:
You've probably seen or heard of most of these, but if you haven't, I recommend it.

Secretary
Last of the Mohicans
Legends of the Fall
Vanilla Sky
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
The Usual Suspects
Heat
Twelve Monkeys
American Beauty
American History X
LA Confidential
Hotel Rwanda
The Graduate
The Weather Man
The Game
Cape Fear
Straw Dogs
War of the Roses
Dune (1984)
Shogun

I've taken out the movies I've seen. I'll add most of these movies to my queue.

Chi Meson said:
Netflix is terrific. First thing to do: choose the "Netflix top 100" menu from the "Browse DVDs" tab. Whenever you see a movie you have seen, rate it as 1 to 5 stars. Where you see the red rating stars, click on the appropriate star to record your rating of that movie. Do this whenever you see a movie you've seen; it doesn't matter what window you are in, when you click a red "star-rating" with your own rating, it gets recorded as your rating of that movie.

Then your ratings get put through the most amazing alrorythm, and you will get suggestions under the "movies you'll *heart*" that will be very likely to be one's you'll like. We've got around 500 movies rated, and the suggestions for us are about 85% great.

And install the software to take advantage of the "watch instantly" options.

Yup I did just that. I've only rated around 80 movies so far, but am still working on it.

Do you like zombie movies?

Night of the living dead
Dawn of the dead 1978 & 2004
28 days later
28 weeks later
I am legend

The Mist is similarly themed, although dealing with monsters instead. Some zombie movies might be a little gory.

Some comedies that I would recommend

Hot Fuzz
Shaun of the Dead
Army of Darkness
In Bruges

Some of my personal favorites that have not been mentioned:

Letters from iwo jima
The lives of others
Life is beautiful
The shawshank redemption
The last samurai
Patton

I couldn't sleep last night and ended up watching Mojave Phone Booth a second time. The first viewing was interrupted a number of times and I watched it over a couple of days. Good movie!

Jacob's Ladder is another movie that comes to mind.

Just curious... has anyone hear heard of PPStream?

As for movies, try... The Bourne Series (all 3)

Also try Crank or Crank 2. Looks stupid and it is but for some odd reason it's fun to watch.

Funny! I was thinking that Mojave Phone Booth was filmed near a favorite old riding area of mine, so I was looking to see where it was filmed and found this.

The Mojave phone booth was a lone telephone booth placed circa 1960 in what is now the Mojave National Preserve in California which attracted online attention in 1997 due to its unusual location. The booth was 15 miles (24 km) from the nearest interstate highway, and miles from any buildings. Its phone number was originally 714-733-9969, before the area code changed to 619 and then to 760.

Fans called the booth attempting to get a reply, and a few took trips to the booth to answer, often camping out at the site. Several callers kept recordings of their conversations. Over time, the booth became covered in graffiti, as many travelers would leave a message on it.

One incident involving the phone booth was documented by Los Angeles Times writer John Glionna, who met 51-year-old Rick Karr there. Karr claims he was instructed by the Holy Spirit to answer the phone. He spent 32 days there, answering more than 500 phone calls including repeated calls from someone who identified himself as "Sergeant Zeno from the Pentagon."

The booth was removed on May 17, 2000 by Pacific Bell, at the request of the National Park Service. Also, per Pacific Bell policy, the phone number was permanently retired. Officially, the removal was done to halt the environmental impact of visitors, though a letter written by the then-superintendent of the Mojave National Preserve mentions confronting Pacific Bell with some long-forgotten easement fees.[1] A headstone-like plaque was later placed at the site. It, too, was removed by the National Park Service.

Fans of the booth also claim that the actual enclosure was destroyed by Pacific Bell after its removal.[2]

The story inspired the creation of a motion picture, Mojave Phone Booth.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mojave_phone_booth

What a strange social phenomenon. This is allegedly the website that started it all.
http://www.deuceofclubs.com/moj/mojave.htm

Heck, this is worth a thread.
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?p=2229745#post2229745

Last edited:
Borg said:
What types of movies? One of my favorite comedies is a little known one called "Dark Star".

Since you picked this as your favorite movie, I decided to put my trust in you...so I got this movie to watch with my girlfriend last night. Suffice it to say that we are no longer together. Just kidding...but seriously, I won't be taking any more movie tips from you ;)

I just finished watching The Shawshank Redemption. It made this grown man cry. That film is seriously the best film ever made.

Here is a great list you should be looking at:

Great Films You Should See

1. 2001: A Space Odyssey
- In my opinion, probably the greatest movie of all time. To endure this film with focus is to try to understand what Kubrick was trying to convey.

2. The Good, The Bad and The Ugly
- You know you have to at least have one famous spaghetti western on the list. Sergio Leone is probably the greatest director of spaghetti westerns. Before this film, he made “A Fistful of Dollars”, another famous western.

3. Lawrence of Arabia
- This epic film is a must see. Although a long film, it is worth seeing due to it’s classic nostalgia.

4. Planet of the Apes
- Charlton Heston’s once in a life time performance alone is one of the reasons why to watch this classic.

5. The Godfather Parts I and II
- Gang films were never this good.

6. Star Wars Trilogy (original version of course..)
- Without a doubt, the original trilogy drew the audiences imagination unlike ever before.

7. The Lord of The Rings Trilogy
- Probably one of the best films of this generation.

8. Terminator 2: Judgment Day
- The best action packed film of all time.

9. The Shawshank Redemption
- Tim Robbins and Morgan Freeman give the best performances of their careers. Without a doubt probably the best film of the early 90’s and probably of all time.

10. Forrest Gump
- Probably one of the OTHER best film of the 90’s.

11. City of God
- This film is probably one of the best films to ever come out of South America. If you have not seen this, I really recommend it. In fact, it’s so good, that the Hollywood industry is doing a remake of it.

12. Fargo
- This film renewed the cops and robbers genre. Without the Coen Brothers creativity, we would be stuck with garbagety dime a dozen cops and robbers film’s.

13. Silence of the Lambs
- I am only putting this up there just because it is the only “horror” film to even win the Oscars. Without this film, the slasher flicks would be boring.

14. Raiders of The Lost Ark
- Another film that Harrison Ford aced.

15. Aliens
- Why is this up there? Because it invented its own genre. Aliens were never this scary.

16. The Fountain
- One of the most beautiful artistic films out there. It may not have a good plot but it's vision is something to be savored.

17. The New World & The Thin Red Line
- Both of these films are made by Terrence Malick. He is probably the best director alive today in my humble opinion. He does not just make films but he makes them into philosophical Inquiries about life. It is truly a humbling experience when you watch his films. I would even go as far as to say that either one would go well in the top ten list of best movies of all time.

18. Finding Forrester
- This film will have you feeling joyous and motivated. Watch it and you will understand what I mean.

19. I Am David
- Here is a film that not that many people know of. I REALLY suggest this film.
Good mentions:

Two good, but lesser known movies:

The Dish (A remote Australian antenna, populated by quirky characters, plays a key role in the first Apollo moon landing.) Interestingly, if you copy the elsets from the blackboard and propagate them to the acquisition time in the movie, the antenna look angles match up.

Lars and the Real Girl (The search for true love begins outside the box.) Interestingly, during the filming, Bianca had her own trailer where she was dressed for each scene and she only came out of the trailer for the scenes she played a part in.

Older ones, but Runaway Jury and The Client are both favorites of mine. I used to have a VHS tape of Mother Lode - that was a good one that I watched a few times. If you have never watched To Kill a Mockingbird (or haven't seen it for a long time) that is a classic. Inside Man is a great heist movie with some neat twists.

I highly suggest the movies Taken and Defiance. Taken is 2 hours of pure *** kicking! Defiance is a true story of a three brothers who saved hundreds of Jews in Germany during WWII.

1. What are the best movies on Netflix right now?

The best movies on Netflix are subjective and based on personal preference. However, some popular and critically acclaimed movies currently streaming on Netflix include The Irishman, Marriage Story, Roma, and The Two Popes.

2. Can you recommend some must-watch movies on Netflix?

Some must-watch movies on Netflix include The Shawshank Redemption, Inception, The Godfather, Pulp Fiction, and Forrest Gump. These movies have stood the test of time and have received widespread acclaim.

3. Are there any hidden gems on Netflix that are worth watching?

Yes, there are many hidden gems on Netflix that are worth watching. Some lesser-known movies that have received critical acclaim include The Fundamentals of Caring, The Perks of Being a Wallflower, and The Florida Project.

4. What are some good movies for families to watch on Netflix?

Netflix has a great selection of family-friendly movies. Some popular choices include The Incredibles, Coco, The Princess and the Frog, and Klaus. These movies are suitable for all ages and can be enjoyed by the whole family.

5. Are there any new releases on Netflix that are worth watching?

Yes, Netflix regularly updates its library with new releases. Some recent additions that have received positive reviews include The Trial of the Chicago 7, Enola Holmes, and Da 5 Bloods. Keep an eye on the "New Releases" section on Netflix for the latest additions.