Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Justice Dept politicized hiring process

1. Jul 29, 2008 #1
    Of course Gonzales says he knew nothing! It was only an aide of his who cherry-picked pro-Bush Republicans:

http://www.iht.com/articles/2008/07/29/america/29justice.php

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 29, 2008 #2

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I'm not sure this is news.
    I'm pretty sure it's being going on since the senate really was the senate and the guy in charge was called caeser.

4. Jul 29, 2008 #3
    It looks like Bush will be handing out executive privilege to a few more people.

5. Jul 29, 2008 #4

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

No, you're being cynical. The Justice Department is *supposed to be* non-political - we are a nation of laws, for crying out loud!!!

You can probably find instances that look like the department was working under partisan influence, but nothing like what the incompetent boobs Bush put in there have been up to.

6. Jul 29, 2008 #5

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If this (meaning the whole disaster in "Justice", spanning the last few years) isn't, then the word 'news' becomes somewhat meaningless.

7. Jul 29, 2008 #6
    I think it would be difficult to find a federal department or agency in the Bush administration that has not been corrupted.

This now includes the EPA.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/07/28/AR2008072801198.html

8. Jul 30, 2008 #7

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I thought that was the American system, the whole administration changes with a new goverment - isn't it supposed to be more democratic than the British system of having the same civil service run the country irrespective of who happens to have been elected.

When you have local fire chiefs or police elected - is it along party lines? Do you have a democrat/republican candidate?

ps. Of course no goverment interference doesn't mean it's free and representative. In the UK the judges are appointed by other judges without any goverment interference, but somehow they all seem to be similairly polically conservative - there aren't many radical feminist or marxist-leninist judges.

9. Jul 30, 2008 #8
    No, the public service is supposed to be nonpartisan.

10. Jul 30, 2008 #9
    There is much more to it than that. each agencey has an Inspector General who's oversight is supposed to be politically neutral.

All Departments and Agencies are held accountable by the GAO (Government Accounting Office) also neutral.

Employees of the Environmental Protection Agency and others have been instructed not to speak with either the IG or the GAO.

Our system of checks and balances has been run through Bush's paper shredder.

11. Jul 30, 2008 #10

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

We have the NAO National Audit Office - extremely fair and independant but totally useless. They famously publish a report years later suggesting that some obvious pork barrel project "might not have delivered the best value to the tax payer"!

You could have another revolution, it's been ages since the last one.
    Dump the starbucks in Boston Harbour - I'm sure the French will, once again, be willing to help you overthrow the oppressive goverment.
    We would appreciate it though, if this time you didn't send the loalyists to Canada.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?