Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

More Secret Prisons, More Torture

1. Oct 5, 2007 #1

Art

One wonders just how many 'get out of jail free' cards Bush has. It seems once again his administration is showing a total contempt for congress.

Isn't it time this lunatic was impeached?

http://www.ireland.com/newspaper/frontpage/2007/1005/1191439483455_pf.html

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 5, 2007 #2

mjsd

Homework Helper

as we all know Bush is just a comedian.... he will not go to jail but Arkham Asylum :smile:

4. Oct 5, 2007 #3
    secret memos ...............

I've had enough of this BS, IMPEACH NOW!

5. Oct 5, 2007 #4

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think he and his gang of thugs should be up for war crimes.

6. Oct 5, 2007 #5

turbo

Gold Member

A Republican president stole American arms from our arsenals and sold them to Iran (a clear case of treason) to get money to fund a private war in Nicaragua that Congress refused to allow. He has an airport named for him. A Democratic president had an affair with an aide, and was impeached. Bush will probably get a monument on the mall.

7. Oct 5, 2007 #6

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think the problem with Reagan was Bush Sr. I doubt that Reagan knew anything about it until he froze on camera when given the question.

In any case, torture is a concern in a league of its own, and support for this among Americans literally sickens me and makes me embarrassed to be an American. Yesterday I watched some cold-hearted ***** from the department of Homeland Security defend the use of torture on CNN. I was waiting for her to sprout horns and a tail.

There are a few people - old friends and family - who are no longer welcome in my house because of this.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2007
  8. Oct 5, 2007 #7

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What the hell happened to this country? One attack and we turn into Nazis?

9. Oct 5, 2007 #8

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Diana West from the Washington Times was just defending the use of torture on Lou Dobbs. Interestingly, she specified that it is okay to use on "terrorism suspects". So, since not all suspects are guilty, by default, she is okay with torturing innocent people.

We have already moved past the "terrorist who knows where a nuclear bomb is planted" scenario, which until now was used as a red herring. In that event, btw, it is the duty of an officer to fall on his sword and do what is needed, so we already have this covered.

We are only one step from the logic of torturing murder suspects etc. And by default, this is one logical step from torturing innocent people - US citizens - on a daily basis.

I will add this and then have to get out of this before my head explodes: AFAIC, anyone who supports the use of torture is a coward, and a disgrace to everything that we have tried to be. This sort of activity is what used to DEFINE the enemy. So let's be clear: You are destroying America.

"What is the greatest threat facing us now? People will say it's terrorism. But are there any terrorists in the world who can change the American way of life or our political system? No.... Only we can change ourselves. So what is the great threat we are facing?" - Colin Powell

Last edited: Oct 5, 2007
  10. Oct 6, 2007 #9

mjsd

Homework Helper

this (situation) is potentially worse than the Nazi.

When the Nazi were doing their dirty stuffs, other countries (from the coalition of willing) at least condemned those behaviors. Now, not just none of these countries've condemned this madness, countries that do dare to comment run the risk of being branded as "extremists", "rogue states" or "anti-west".

11. Oct 6, 2007 #10

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Huh? :confused: Secret memos can be used for the sake of evil, but they are also a necessary tool for the sake of good. If you are outraged over the contents of some secret memos, then direct your outrage at the contents. :tongue:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?