Justification of a trick in solving PDEs arising in Physics

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter fluidistic
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Pdes Physics
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
93 replies · 7K views
fluidistic said:
I still do not see it entirely

A function that vanishes at infinity in three dimensions does not have to vanish at the same "rate" (dependence on ##r##) in different directions as ##r \rightarrow \infty##.
 
  • Informative
Likes   Reactions: fluidistic
Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks for all, PeterDonis. I think this is much clearer to me now. I would love to study some group theory, as it is used in Physics in a lot of areas, and my knowledge is lacking there.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: bob012345
fluidistic said:
Thanks for all, PeterDonis. I think this is much clearer to me now.

You're welcome! Glad I could help.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: fluidistic and bob012345
Isn't this a bit too complicated? For one-particle wavefunctions, a (pure) state can only be spherically symmetric around the origin if it depends only on ##r=|\vec{x}|## which automatically makes to an eigenstate of ##\hat{\vec{L}}^2## to the eigenvalue ##0##, i.e., ##\ell=0##.

Any superposition of wave functions with ##\ell=1## (dipole or ##p## waves) is thus not spherically symmetric.