Looking for resources to help me understand the basics of PDEs for physics

Philip551
TL;DR Summary: I am taking a math methods course this semester of which a large part are PDEs. I don't understand the context behind the order in which we are solving PDEs. I am interested in learning how other people were taught PDEs and any book recommendations you might have.

I am taking a math methods course this semester of which a large part are PDEs. I don't understand the context behind the order in which we are solving PDEs.

What we have done thus far is solve the wave equation for the homogenous case and some non-homogenous cases. The methods we have used are separation of variables and eigenfunction expansions. I am not sure I understand the intuition behind certain steps we are taking to solve the equations e.g. letting the solution u(x,t) = w(x,t) + v(x).

In looking for other books that are available like Farlow and Strauss, I noticed that they use different methods like the method of characteristics and that they don't consider some of the problems we have solved to be important. I would be interested in hearing the order of how other people were taught PDEs, especially in terms of the physical intuition behind certain substitutions and if there are any introductory PDE book recommendations that focus on the physical intuition.

Also, I am also interested in recommendations for books on numerical methods for PDEs.

Physics news on Phys.org
It is not quite clear what you have trouble with. Order is a bad adjective when it comes to differential equations since it is a technical term. I would definitely search for lecture notes on university servers, e.g. by the search key "Partial Differential Equations + pdf". The "+pdf" part is necessary to end up with actual lecture notes and not on someone's homepage.

My search found:

All these links are in English. You see, that you can find many of them even without violating copyrights.

I found Olver's book a lot, however, I remember that someone here once said that he tends to be a bit sloppy when it comes to details. On the other hand, he is good to read.

In case you have specific questions especially about the "context" of something, then ask in our technical forum
https://www.physicsforums.com/forums/differential-equations.74/

Last edited:
  • Informative
Likes berkeman
By order, I mean the content that is usually covered i.e. what methods are used, mathematical background topics like the dirac delta function or the Fourier transform etc.

I do not know much about pde's, or physics, but I can still suggest some books you might look at, judging them by their titles, their introductions, and the pedigree of their authors. My impression (from reading the intro to book 1) below) is that there is no general theory of pde's but there are important examples, heat equation, wave equation, and Laplace equation prominent among them. I myself have used the heat equation in my own research in complex algebraic and analytic geometry, and of course the Laplace equation is fundamental to complex and harmonic analysis.

I have on my shelf these two books and suggest them to you for a look;
1) Lectures on Partial differential equations by the great mathematician V. Arnol'd, and
2) Differential equations of mathematical physics, by L. Hopf, an assistant of Einstein.

1) contains far more than 2), and at a far higher level.

Different methods for solving PDEs are useful in different cases. There may be cases where the method of characteristic works well and some cases where it doesn’t. There may be cases where separation of variables works well and other cases where it doesn’t.

As for why we generally have a penchant for teaching separation of variables extensively: it is intimately tied to many concrete physical concepts such as eigenmodes of oscillation or the energy eigenstates of quantum mechanics.

Coming to why we do things like this:
Philip551 said:
I am not sure I understand the intuition behind certain steps we are taking to solve the equations e.g. letting the solution u(x,t) = w(x,t) + v(x).
This may seem like a silly approach that does not net you anything. However, the point is typically to separate a more involved problem that you may have into easier subproblems. In this case, u may be the solution to something like an inhomogeneous wave equation. Assuming some inhomogeneoties to be stationary, the ansatz would be to introduce v to be the time independent function solving the stationary problem, thus removing the stationary inhomogeneities from the problem for w. You have likely encountered similar methods in an ODE course, where you have written the solution as a homogeneous part plus some particular solution. The main difference in the example you give is that the particular solution is assumed not to depend on time.

• Informative
Likes berkeman and fresh_42
Partial Differential Equations by Sommerfeld

1. What are PDEs and why are they important in physics?

PDEs, or partial differential equations, are mathematical equations that involve multiple variables and their partial derivatives. They are important in physics because they allow us to model and understand complex physical phenomena, such as fluid dynamics, heat transfer, and quantum mechanics.

2. Where can I find resources to learn about PDEs for physics?

There are many resources available to learn about PDEs for physics, such as textbooks, online courses, and video lectures. Some recommended resources include "Partial Differential Equations for Scientists and Engineers" by Stanley J. Farlow, the MIT OpenCourseWare course "Partial Differential Equations for Engineers" by Arthur Mattuck, and the YouTube channel "3Blue1Brown" which has a series of videos on PDEs.

3. Do I need a strong background in mathematics to understand PDEs for physics?

While a strong foundation in mathematics is helpful, it is not necessary to have a deep understanding of advanced mathematics to learn about PDEs for physics. A basic understanding of calculus and linear algebra is typically sufficient, and many resources provide explanations and examples in a way that is accessible to those without a strong mathematical background.

4. How can I apply PDEs to real-world problems in physics?

PDEs can be applied to a wide range of real-world problems in physics, such as modeling the flow of fluids in pipes, predicting the temperature distribution in a room, or describing the behavior of an electron in a magnetic field. By learning about PDEs and their applications, you can gain a better understanding of the underlying principles and mechanisms at work in these physical systems.

5. Are there any software tools or programs that can help me solve PDEs for physics?

Yes, there are many software tools and programs available that can help you solve PDEs for physics. Some popular options include MATLAB, Mathematica, and Python libraries such as SciPy and SymPy. These tools can help you solve PDEs numerically, visualize solutions, and explore different scenarios and parameters in your models.