K&K First Chapter - Is it necessary?

• Thread starter tridianprime
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the first chapter of the book K&K which covers mathematical preliminaries and includes numerous examples of applications of vectors and kinematics. The individual is 2/3 of the way through the chapter and feels comfortable with the math, having studied it before. They question whether it is necessary to thoroughly study every example before moving on to the next chapter and if the physics concepts will be covered again later on. The individual has encountered this situation before in a different book and was able to skip the first chapter without any issues. Another person confirms that it is okay to skip the prelims and just refer back to it when necessary. The conversation concludes with the individual deciding to move on to the next chapter as it is
tridianprime
I have been reading the first chapter of K&K which is one the mathematical preliminaries supposedly and it includes lots of examples of applications of vectors/kinematics and so forth. I am about 2/3 of the way throughout it (into plane polar coordinates) and it seems as though it is just example after example. I feel I am comfortable with the mathematics because I have studied it before this book. The author says at one point that it is really to get you versed in the mathematics of vectors so I was wondering if it would be ok to advance in the book and whether it would hinder me greatly to not have rigorously studied every example in the prelim chapter.

Are the physics concepts in the prelim chapters covered again? Could I just refer back to it if necessary later on in the book? What are your experiences and thoughts on this chapter?

It's not that it hasn't been interesting but it feels cluttered and I am just eager to go onto the next chapter on the Newtons laws - foundations of Newtonian mechanics. Thanks for any feedback. If I really have to do the prelims I will because I want to study this book either way but it would be good to go to the next chapter if possible.

P.s. I am not so much talking about encountering problems in the next chapter but more so the chances of having issues late run the book. The reason for this is because I have studied a small amount in Kibbles 'Classical Mechanics'.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I skipped chapter 1 completely and never once needed it when working through the rest of the book.

You can just refer back to it when necessary. It's just boring math in my opinion.

WannabeNewton said:
I skipped chapter 1 completely and never once needed it when working through the rest of the book.

You can just refer back to it when necessary. It's just boring math in my opinion.

Ok, great. Thanks. I have gone onto the next chapter since I started the thread just to get an idea as to what it was like and it seems to be written in a clear way. I will give it a go.

1. Is it necessary to read the first chapter of K&K?

Yes, it is necessary to read the first chapter of K&K in order to understand the foundation and background of the subject matter.

2. What information can I expect to learn in the first chapter of K&K?

In the first chapter, you can expect to learn about the purpose and objectives of the book, as well as an overview of the key concepts and theories that will be discussed.

3. How does the first chapter of K&K set the tone for the rest of the book?

The first chapter establishes the tone and style of writing for the rest of the book, as well as the author's perspective and approach to the subject matter.

4. Can I skip the first chapter and still understand the rest of the book?

While it is not recommended, as the first chapter provides important background information, it is possible to skip the first chapter and still understand the rest of the book. However, you may miss important context and key concepts.

5. Is the first chapter of K&K essential for those with a basic understanding of the subject?

Even if you have a basic understanding of the subject matter, the first chapter can still provide valuable insights and refreshers, and is therefore recommended for all readers.