1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Relativity Alternative to Kleppner - Kolenkow chapter on relativity

1. Mar 2, 2016 #1
    Hello all.

I am currently using Kleppner - Kolenkow textbook on classical mechanics, and I am really liking it.

Now I have finally reached the chapter on spacial relativity, but I have read in several foums that, despite the quaity of the book, this chapter is not as fine as the others (I have not even begun with it, so I can't confirm that claim by myself).

So, in order to get a good understanding of spacial realtivity, avoiding to read a whole book like Rindler, Taylor and Wheeler, etc., I would like to know if there is another classical mechanics book that treats this topic in a better way than Kleppner and Kolenkow do.

In the library, I have access to Taylor, Morin, Gregory, and many other classical mechanics textbooks. Can you suggest me one or two of them?

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 2, 2016 #2

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

A very good introduction is in Landau and Lifshitz vol. II (Classical Field Theory).

4. Mar 2, 2016 #3
    But I thought that book was a graduate book...

I just need something at the same level of Kleppner and Kolenkow.

Anyway, I will take a look to it.

Thank U

5. Mar 2, 2016 #4

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

6. Mar 2, 2016 #5

bcrowell

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Morin, Introduction to Classical Mechanics, has a nice treatment of SR in an appendix. Morin is basically the modern equivalent of K&K.

You might also find my SR book helpful, although it's at a slightly higher level and has more depth and breadth than you might want. It's free.

7. Mar 3, 2016 #6
    Thanks all of you for your suggestions.

I have take a look to Morin's and Taylor's books and I think I will use both them to complement Kleppner and Kolenkow.

Morin is more modern and Taylor has a nice and more advanced treatment of 4vectors, so I feel they form a good combination.

Regards.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted